Thursday, November 12, 2020

The Bible Study Crasher Had ... 2 humps (sing-along)

 

The Bible Study Crasher Had 2 Humps

Maybe I just shouldn’t go to Bible studies that are supposed to be nice.  Nice people look at the Bible and ask questions that I would not ask of the text.  I am aware that things are not always as they seem in real life, so why should we presuppose that Bible stories have some idyllic method for comprehension?  I will give you my two most recent examples.

The very nice lady remarked, “The story that worries me is the Narrow Gate.  What if I am not quite on the Narrow Road, I think I am, but I may not be?  I won’t be able to pass through what the Lord calls the Narrow Gate.”  My brain scrunched.  I think I even squinted and tilted my head to the side.  Why do we presume that Jesus is telling us we might not make it?  If His baseline message was mercy and forgiveness, and I am banking on Him being honest with us – He did say “I am Truth” after all – then why would anyone presume, even accidentally, that He was setting us up for an ultimate failure?  God would be very unjust indeed if He told us to follow Him, and we did, and then He jettisoned us to hell in the End.

I looked at her and said, “I have the answer.  There is a mystery story here.”  Everyone’s attention was on me.  I told them to look at the Gate in the story.  The gates in Jerusalem were low and short and, well, Narrow, as He said.  In order to get a camel through the gate, you have to make it kneel down.  Have you seen a camel lately?  I will give you $20 if you can make him kneel down all on your own. 

Once the camel is kneeling, the handler unloads all the baggage from the camel.  To get through the door loaded with parcels is not only useless:  it is an obstruction.  The stuff on the camel may be good or may be junk, but it aint going to make it easier to get the camel through the gate:  It makes it harder.

Now you just have the camel at the gate entrance.  And all hands on deck need to assist the camel through the passage.  WE ARE ALL CAMELS.  That is the key to the story.  Keep your eye on the camel!

#1) To enter into The Gate, symbol of eternal life, we have to kneel down, to humble ourselves.

#2) We have to divest ourselves of the baggage we carry.  The stuff that weighs us down and makes our shape distorted needs to be stripped away, set aside.  It may be our accomplishments or our hang-ups.  It may be our wallowing in brokenness or our obnoxious pride.  We have to set it aside.

#3) We have to realize that this journey is not a solitary one.  There is a Guide who is more committed to our passing through the Narrow Gate then we are ourselves.  The hands of the community of faith, as well as the hands of God will guide us – sometimes gently, sometimes with a shove…. And we will be through the gate.  We are not alone.  And, we won’t accomplish the task alone.

The friends listening to me liked the image.  The almost-deacon asked if he could borrow it for a future homily.  I said sure, unless I get to preach it first.  No one knew what to do with that.  Our faith culture is still “muting” women, despite education, experience, or virtue.  Mother Teresa, I am not.  But I worked hard for what I know and I don’t believe God is going to set me aside because of my gender.  At present, women are not permitted to the Catholic diaconate.  At present.  But that is a custom, and customs can change.  If maybe all the women who are catechetical leaders across the world pick a Boycott Sunday and just don’t do their jobs until we get some review of the scope of our duties, maybe that will wake The Boys Club up.  Maybe.

My second Bible Study crasher example comes from Luke 5.  For decades of our lives we hear a Bible story preached the same way every year.  We may get one piece of the pie, but we are missing another.  I asked the study group if they, like me, had noticed the one person no one EVER mentions in their homily.  Nope.  We talk about Jesus.  We talk about the man who was healed.  We talk about his friends who lower him through the roof to be healed by Jesus.  No one ever talks about the guy who owned the roof!

What was HIS reaction to the dismantling of his thatchment?  Did he say, “Sure, guys, take some more of that off!  I was getting around to working on that next week anyways.”  I bet he did not.  I bet he said, “HEY!  WHAT THE HECK ARE YOU DOING UP THERE!  WHY DO I SEE SHAFTS OF LIGHT AND PARTICLES OF DUST AND PIGEON POOP DROPPING DOWN INTO MY LIVING ROOM?!”  Did he not let a swear word slip out because Jesus was standing there – we can only hope he didn’t. 

Here’s the point:  he was more than inconvenienced.  His roof was damaged, dismantled.  He was going to have to deal with that himself because everyone else got all swept-up in the miraculous happenings.  Sometimes before the miraculous can happen, status quo gets interrupted.  The things we are comfortable with, the things that in our minds “are the way they should be” get tweaked … as does our nose. 

Application:  sometimes when God wants to do something miraculous you are going to be inconvenienced.  He does things His way, His time and without needing to ask any piece of His creation for permission.  We have to yield to the moment of the miracle.  We have to allow our own sensibilities to be offended, our roof to be dismantled, as it were.  We have to accept that our inconvenience is not God’s problem.  He is like the friend that comes over to watch a movie with you on Friday night.  When you say to him, “make yourself comfortable,” and truly mean it, that friend might just get his own beverage out of your refrigerator, open your cabinets without asking, sit in your recliner, and put his feet up on your coffee table.  If that is His definition of “comfortable,” and you truly are the Good Host, then you are good with that.

Are we good with that?  Do we let God have that kind of leeway?  I hope I do.  I love God’s miracles.  I love to be around when He starts working.  I surely don’t want to be an obstacle to what He needs to do.  I am all about letting Him have His way… not just when I am sitting in church and singing those surrender songs.  The rubber meets the road when I walk out the front door of church and someone cuts me off in the parking lot.  It begins that quickly.

“Have Thine own way, Lord, have Thine own way.  Hold o’er my being, absolute sway.  Melt me and make me after Thy will, while I am patient, waiting and still.”

Well I’m not still yet.  And I’m not even patient, but when He gives me that look, I melt.  He can have His way.  Even if I get kicked out of nice Bible studies.

########

No comments:

Post a Comment