Tuesday, February 14, 2017

Paving the Southbound Road....


The Road to Somewhere is Paved with Good Intentions

If it is someone's good intention to set me up on a blind date, why is it that the path that is paved to hell is the one upon which I have to walk?

There was a time in my life where I was very open to being “fixed up” with a prospective date.  Let me say that one’s enthusiasm or openness is dampened by experience.

Ø    It did not bother me that he had the physique of the Pillsbury dough boy.  What un-nerved me was his strange preoccupation with a cataclysmic end of the world as we know it.  Perhaps there are things one should not reveal on a first date?  Like obsessive ideas?
Ø    I was intrigued by the southern accent.  A cup of coffee never killed anyone, really.  I don’t think.  But when he started talking about his ex-wife and how his dog went crashing through the sliding glass doors and he blamed the ex-wife for that… I thought he might, perhaps, not be emotionally healthy ….
Ø    My friend told me about a nice man at her church that I might like to meet.  So I went to church to scope him out.  Okay, so I’m shallow.  He was about 20 years older than me, much more rotund than just “big boned,” and walked like a little old man.  So, maybe I am shallow.
Ø    I think there has to be a spark in the conversation.  It’s my fault that I don’t spark when we talk about golf.  It wasn’t the big shock of hair on the top of his head that scared me.  It was just the thought of how much glue he needed to use to keep it there…I could have even endured that if I was up on my golf.   My fault.  I’m wondering if you have to iron polyester pants?
Ø    Perhaps I was not even thirty yet when I was selling a twin bed from my apartment.  (There was not enough room for me and my dog on the twin.)  So I met this woman buying a bed for her divorced, adult son.  And she really took a shine to me.  She came right out and asked me if I was available because her son was single.   I really want to ask what kind of a man doesn’t buy his OWN bed, but sends his mother to do it?  Somehow I don’t think I am ready for that kind of responsibility in a relationship.  I wonder if it worked and we married, if she would move in with us?  Yikes.
Ø    Another non-toxic cup of coffee set up by a mother.  Was it necessary for him to argue with me on my interpretation of the religious significance of a popular children’s story?  Did he have to tell me I was “wrong” immediately on the first (and last) date?  Someone should tell dating folks that correction and criticism aren’t exactly endearing, crowd-pleasers.
Ø    I have surmised that a man who issues a kind of subtle insult is actually trying to sabotage a date.  I no longer give handicap points for direct offenses.  We were both high school teachers from two different private schools meeting at a local Irish pub.  I dreaded the walk in the door alone because to get to the seating area I had to walk full length parallel to the bar – not once, but twice - it made me feel a little uncomfortable.  Apparently he was nursing his beer with his back to the door the whole time because actually I met a mutual acquaintance who pointed the blind date out to me and walked up and did an impromptu introduction.  It was me who suggested that we not stand against the bar staring at the bottles the whole time – sitting at a table seemed more conducive to dating ambiance.  He managed to issue a patronizing critique for me not wanting an alcoholic beverage.  Then somehow the conversation steered to politics and he gave me an incredulous, sarcastic look and demeaned me for supporting my political party of preference… as if it made me the village idiot to be what I am.  I chalked it off to his poor communi-cation skills and gave him handicap points, but there was never a second date.  Years later, in hindsight, I realize that he was trying to make me walk out by subtle insults.  I have never encountered such a person before so nothing prepared me for that level of disrespect.

Ø    I did get fixed up with a nice man.  Once.  Unfortunately he did not seem to have a sense of humor.  He was polite – which was worth a lot of points.  But my friend who set us up was kind of disappointed that I didn’t fly into his arms at the first slow dance available.  I cannot imagine anything more uncomfortable than getting into the close personal space of a complete stranger.

The thing that helps me keep my perspective about being “set up” on a date is that it is done with the best of intentions.  The friend obviously thinks enough about me and this other person that they would like two single people to find happiness together.  In that spirit, there are arrangements made where there is no evident common ground.  I think you can tell in the first ten minutes or so if the thing has any potential or not.  After years of actually dating people that my heart was not totally “sold” on – I made concessions and gave handicap points – I have now come to believe that compromise is not a verb that belongs with dating.  Dating, be fussy.  Save compromising for marriage because once you’re in it, baby, you’re in it for the long haul.

I have noticed a characteristic of some people who arrange the blind date set-ups.  It has been insinuated by a few people (my grandmother was one of them) that I am “too fussy” but in the spirit of fairness, read through the above list of mystery dates and come to your own conclusions.  Remember that does not include people I actually dated for longer periods of time – people who had manipulative control issues, psychological diagnoses, and other hindrances to the development of a healthy relationship.  If I had to do it over again, a lot of those situations would have never happened.  They would have been scratched from the race after the first date.  I heard a keynote speaker once say that “dating is about learning to dump losers.”  I do not agree with that in the sense that I believe the mark of a mature adult is the ability to identify or intuit that a relationship is not a good match, and from there to walk away congenially.  No name-calling is necessary.  Just leave the situation calmly as a person of integrity.  Choosing who we spend time with is important.  And we have a right and an obligation to not string someone along unnecessarily – even by giving them good faith handicap points as we hope against hope that they will change.  As the eligible young bachelor said to Rebbe Tevye in “Fiddler on the Roof,”  “Even a poor tailor is entitled to some happiness.”  I could not agree more.

I myself have set people up on dates.  And if it does not fly, I don’t feel bad about it.  There has to be that emotional “click” – at least on the friendship level.  The problem with worldly dating is that people think the “click” has to be romantic.  For the first date, I don’t think so.  I am a believer that a good friendship can actually grow a good romance.  After all, romantic love is just based on emotions, hormones, pleasant manners and good cologne.  You are laughing but sometimes isn’t that it?  So if I go out with someone for coffee and really just enjoy being in their presence isn’t that a good sign of potential longevity in a relationship?  I know that there are plenty of people out there who look for the romance first and foremost, and find only a short term fling and then leave the so called relationship with bitterness and disillusion – it is because they put the cart before the horse.

Building a relationship is kind of like building a house.  Everyone can’t wait to see the sides of the house and the colors of the shutters and beautiful bay windows – very few people get excited about the pouring of the concrete basement that comes before even one board is laid down on the ground.  But in the long run, if you have a poor basement that house just is not going to sit right on the land that shifts around it.  With no basement or concrete foundation, it will decay from the bottom up.  A good foundation is absolutely essential for the endurance of the structure.  We need to teach our young people about building good foundations for their relationships AND if we are still single, we need to re-orient ourselves about the importance of those foundations for ourselves.



 ###################

No comments:

Post a Comment