Friday, February 17, 2017

A Lesson from Bunny School

A Lesson from Bunny School

People have spring time rituals.  Some plant bulbs, some begin to turn their soil for a vegetable garden, others lube up their bikes for riding the country roads.  As for me, I will be watching for the snow to melt so I can find my socks.  My feet, to be truly honest, have the aroma of crushed rose petals coming from them … well, just about.  So it is really quite beyond me why the young dogs have a fascination for stealing my socks and playing tug-o-war from one end of the house to the other, all the way through the garage, and out the side yard.  The socks are wrapped around the one little arborvitae tree that most likely isn’t going to make it.  It’s not that the socks will kill it.  It’s just that aside from chomping its little branches, my boy-puppy is eventually going to realize he has boy-dog-equipment and is going to start “watering” the tree.  That will be a bad day for the tree, the veritable beginning-of-the-end.  And yet I will still be looking for my socks.

Last week during mid-winter thaw, I found one of my Dunkin’ Donut socks and it was frozen to a crisp in a shape kind of like a canned potato chip.   I call it a Dunkin’ Donut sock because I originally had a pair of pink and a pair of orange.  I split the pairs and purposefully mismatched the socks, thus creating two pair of Dunkin’ Donut color socks.  This kind of creativity only comes with an under-used Master’s Degree in Ministry.  I get excited about socks and consider them my team colors:  Team Dunkin’. 

I have other loves besides my socks – flowers, for instance.  I do have a big bag of tulip bulbs that got nowhere close to being planted in the fall.  I forgot what was going on that pulled my attention in other directions – perhaps supervising the canine pregnancy and getting ready for the early November litter -the very same litter that brought me my favorite Sock Thief.  So in the spring, I will have to figure out where those bulbs are going to go.  That decision will have to be made quickly before the bulbs start to sprout – I need to beat the rabbit to finding a location for them.  And the rabbit has a vendetta against me already.

Back in the early winter, the rabbit accidentally found his way into the dog yard on the side of the house.  He was just kind of hanging around in the late evening when –bam – the door swung wide open by me and the three dogs went barreling out and discovered him.  The first time I saw him was in the spring when he was a baby bunny, probably weighing in around the size of a baseball.  Now he was a rabbit a little smaller than a house cat but he aged rapidly – like ten years in three minutes.  When the dogs charged out the door and discovered him he ran straight into the fencing at about 100 mph, flipped up in the air and blazed to the other side of the yard …. To do the exact same maneuver.  It was like watching those motorcycle guys riding inside the tube, halfway up and flipping.  I jumped into the game momentarily only to guide him to the one possible exit and, trust me, he took it.  I believe he now lives under my deck.  Or perhaps he just lingers there waiting to get even and eat the bulbs I will plant. 

Lately, I leave my side garage door open for an hour or two just to get fresh air in the garage.  I don’t know why I think that my garage might like fresh air, but we all have our hang-ups.  It will be a very exciting day when I let the dogs into the garage, and they surprise the rabbit!  He may duck in thinking that he can get a break from the wind, snow, and inclement weather.  Then the dogs will discover him and he will probably flip out completely.  He reminds me of the year I tried to go on a retreat day two or three times.  In one case, I sat on the deck at the retreat house on a lovely summer day trying to enjoy peace and quiet – and then someone brought the chain saws out in the neighborhood below where I sat.  I felt like bursting into tears. 

Most recently, I went on a one day retreat at a church.  When the nun stood before us and told us we should be “grateful to trees” for what they do for us  - as if cleaning the air and providing shade were purposeful and conscious choices on the part of trees – I better understood where the phrase “tree hugger” came from.  I closed my eyes briefly.  Perhaps it was to hold back tears of frustration.  Perhaps it was to keep me from creating a scene by “rolling my eyes” as I have seen so many teenagers do.  (But I better understood the therapeutic value of rolling eyes at this point.)  When the good Sister got to the point of telling us we should call God “Mother” as well, I wondered what Jesus’ reaction would be to the insinuation that He might’ve had no daddy?  I mean, in my religion, we are aware it was ground-breaking material to the culture of the day to be taught to pray to God as “Our Father who art in Heaven.”  Jesus so often identified Himself with God as his Father that the suggestions of the nun standing before me were more than ludicrous. 

Back in the days of my youth, I might have made an issue of the heresy that was being presented to our group.  After all, we had paid for a nice, inspirational retreat day and what we were getting was some really bizarre and aggravating stuff.  Yet the wisdom of middle-age is this:  you tough-it-out until lunch and have a good meal, then you slip out the back door and go shopping at the Mall…  which is exactly what I did.  Like the rabbit in the dog yard, it only took me two back-flips off the wall to realize I wasn’t in an ideal environment for my spiritual growth and mental health.  I just looked for the break in the fence and took off.  I think I am going to give myself permission to do that more often.  It was very liberating.
###############


No comments:

Post a Comment