Monday, December 5, 2016

My Thoughts on Fowl Play


Funny chicken pictures |Funny Animal
“You have EIGHT birds?” is something I’ve heard more than once.  Well, it’s not like there are 80 of them.  Let’s be real.  And, no, they don’t fly free in the house or in the bird room.  My grandmother used to say to me, “I’m going to drive to Syracuse and open a window and let those birds out.  Maybe then you will find a husband.”  That was twenty five years ago.  Maybe she was right.  But I can tell you that I’ve never received a questionnaire from a potential date that included the question:  “Are you harboring exotic birds of any size in your apartment or home?  If so, exit questionnaire now.”

And for some reason I have tried to explain or justify to people why there are eight birds in my house.  As if I need to.  No one ever asks Holly Hobby figurine collectors why they do that.  No one asks model train enthusiasts why they spend hard earned money on things that are not even life-sized.  In fact, we call them “model” trains because the phrase “toy” trains seems to imply something we consider negative:  adults playing with wholesome things.

The other day a new friend walked into my home and almost immediately busted me verbally for having an inflatable nativity scene on my front lawn.  She called it gaudy and tacky.  Without missing a beat, I advised her that I find that scene wholesome and child-like and fun.  And then I followed with my political commentary that if everyone who gets cranked out of shape that the town, village, city, whatever doesn’t display a nativity scene would just put one in their own yard, then we wouldn’t need to have the discussion, would we?  Sheesh.

But back to the birds.  The topic is a fine example of people applying judgments based on their own preferences.  I like veal.  I like veal marsala a lot.  I like veal francaise just as well.  And if I could, I’d probably eat that once a week.  I have sat in on cafeteria lunch discussions about foods and had people react as if I was an utter barbarian for eating veal.  And I always ask them:  “what do you have against chickens?”  Think about that.  Why is it okay to eat fish, chicken, a golden arches hamburger or whatever funny chickens funny chickens funny chickens funny chickensand yet I get vilified for eating veal?  Stop anthropomorphizing animals.  It will just get you in trouble.   Again, get your eyes and hands OFF my plate, or I am not responsible for how your hand feels after I stab you with my fork.  You think I’m kidding.  Try me.

I must admit I do have a checkered past with fowl.  Most particularly, chickens and ducks shuddered at the thought of me in my childhood years.  Growing up I had access to animals that city kids would not have had:  my uncle had the family homestead of my grandparents on a few acres of land which was abutted by a murky, lagoon that we called, “The Pond.”  My mother used to call it “Murphy’s Pond,” but he already had his laws and I felt rightfully it was my pond but again that says more about me and my mentality than it does about her. 

On this pond in rural Western Massachusetts, I spent many a happy canoe ride with my uncle, siblings and cousins.  We net-captured turtles and bull frogs and snipped beautiful (albeit, stinky) water lilies for the kitchen table.  We rode the tire swing that was suspended for decades from a great oak tree.  We rode the family-shared mini bike all over hill and dale until the mothers were completely stressed out that we might be going too fast or riding too recklessly… the days before helmets and mandatory car seats.  It was idyllic.  Yet it was real.

It may not surprise those who know me personally to learn that, among the cousins, I was the one who was, shall we say, fixated upon the animals?  At lunch the other day someone, some professional adult, for some reason, asked how it was possible to catch a wild rabbit… like it was a rhetorical question answered by:  “you can’t.”  I couldn’t tip my hand, but I know how.  First, you chart the rabbit’s typical course:  if it sat in the tall grass slightly to the left of the barn and you startled it, it shot off like a rocket around the back side of the barn and zipped down into the hole at the barn’s foundation.  Well, at least that is how it works if there is no discreet blue colored bucket that had been positioned against the hole.  Have you ever seen a rabbit make a U-turn in a bucket from floor to ceiling and then ricochet outward, trying to think of its Plan B?  That’s all I can admit about that escapade.

A part of my childhood pre-occupation became a study of cause and effect in capturing wildlife.  I noted that ducks have some sort of mechanism that attracts them to pieces of stale bread.  They are truly indiscriminate when it comes to a free meal.  Also they can’t get the idea that as bread is tossed out to the pond, and the distance, say, from water to shore is incrementally decreased, eventually, they are eating at your sneaker:   which is when you reach down and grab them by their neck.  At that point, you have to move it into a football-hold-side-carry really fast before they squirt your sneakers.  This I know.  Then I ran break-neck speed with my prize honking the whole way.  I was yelling, “Uncle Johnnie, Uncle Johnnie, Uncle Johnnie I CAUGHT A DUCK!”  You’d think he would have appreciated my hunting prowess.  But, no.  In the days before ethnic sensitivity and political correctness, he yelled out, “CHRIS- THAT DUCK BELONGS TO THE PORTUGIE ACROSS THE POND!”  I hadn’t captured a wild duck?  How dumbfounding.  The duck was relieved when I returned it to the water’s edge – both she and I wiser for the escapade.  She hit that water at full throttle kind of like the cartoon characters that spin their feet in the air and make that scrambling noise.  I still get nostalgic around ducks.

And then there are chickens.  A little red hen taught me one of the most valuable principles that an adult can use in real life when dealing with disappointment.  Picture this:  A picnic table painted a strange pale greenish white.  A hen.  A pre-teenager with nothing better to do than test the aeronautical capacity of chickens.  Again, grabbing the chicken before she realized it, I jumped us up to the top of the picnic table and shot her into the air.  THUNK.  What the heck?  I tried it again and she was really, shall we say, perturbed at me?  THUNK.  Then the yelling came.  “CHRIS.  LEAVE THAT CHICKEN ALONE.”  Well, I wasn’t bothering it, per se, I was just trying to stretch its capabilities.  I mean, eagles boot their babies out of the nest at some point and they can fly, can’t they?  So, the principle is this:  there will be people in life that no matter how much we want them to “fly” in an area or ability, they just cannot do it.  Chickens are not, by the Creator’s design, able to fly.  Flutter, yes.  Fly, nope.  Their wings are too short to catch the air upon which flighted birds soar.  It is best that once we realize chickens cannot fly, that we not frustrate ourselves and the chickens by insisting we can launch them to higher things.  Just accept the limitation and appreciate what you have.  It makes for more peaceful co-existence. 

So, let’s get back to the initial question of why I have eight birds.  I think it is because I like how they sound in the morning when I am waking up.  It reminds me of what I like best about camping.  Consequently, it’s like camping in your own house with hot water shower, flush toilet, stocked refrigerator and the songs of happy birds.  There.  Are you satisfied?
#######################




No comments:

Post a Comment