Tuesday, November 29, 2016

My Daily Dose of Poison

 Image result for bottle of poison clipart

Every morning that I drive to work I vary the route that I travel.  Only one thing remains the same, and perhaps that is the thing that needs to change.  You see, I ingest a small dose of poison each day on the way to work.  I don’t take in enough to kill me, but these micro doses most of the times make me feel badly by the time I reach the front door of work.  I’m not asking for help.  I am asking for change.  I am not alone in my dosage.  It starts just out of curiosity, or the need to know a little more than what I feel I am bringing into the game on any particular morning.  Sometimes I linger too long and then the malaise fights me most of the day.  Other times, friends who also got the daily dose of poison, are cranked up when I get to the office and want to “process” their knowledge as if anything we have an opinion on really matters.

What is this poison, you ask.  I will tell you:  the presentation of the local news on the radio.  Sometimes I wonder if these guys have a set template by which they plan the stories of the day to decimate us psychologically.  It would go something like this:  Day 1 report on shooting; Day 2 re-cap the shooting unless there has been another one to take its place; Day 3 try to flush out any “human interest” stories connected with the shooter or shoot-ee.  (If it was my family that was suffering I’d tell them where they could stash their news microphones and cameras.  Maybe the idea’s time has come:  Leave the grieving families in peace to try to find comfort among their friends and family members.)  As little as I know, even I am aware that we have had 26 homicides since January 1st.  The fear of inciting “copy-cat crimes” seems to have dissipated in the interest of selling news at the expense of someone else’s grief.

I must confess that I became a news update junkee when the punk in the Poconos was leading the Law on a wild goose chase one summer.  Mostly I was concerned because I travel through that area annually and it was appalling that it took so long to catch him.  The weird thing is that for as many days as they ran that story – with all the details of how he ate, and how he hid, and how he wore adult diapers to not leave signs of life behind, etc. – once they finally CAUGHT him, it was as if someone pulled the electrical cord out of the wall and the stories disappeared.  They disappeared, I imagine, because once he got his orange jump suit things became very legal and very boring.  Boring doesn’t sell news.

I am wondering if telling these stories is more for the purpose of intimidating the culture of healthy people than it is for inviting a solution.  We are already nervous, trust me.  We wonder when it will end.  We fear in the smallest corner of our heart, that it might not.  Just when we feel we have heard enough of Whose Lives Matter Today – I’m sorry, I thought EVERYONE’S LIFE MATTERS – they throw a news lead out:  “Officer shot in patrol car… details on the ten’s.”  Then you find out that it was NOT down the street, it occurred half way across the country.  Listeners feel badly for the family, nonetheless, but this relentless bombarding with the same type-cast story, is draining the emotional core of the nation.

Out of one mouth, we hear that another devastating (fill in the type of catastrophe here: earthquake, tornado, tsunami, raging fire, etc.) has struck a far off nation.  Our good American people who do charitable work are behind the scenes organizing the relief efforts.  They don’t make it much to the front-and-center of the news.  Why not?  Why is the press denying us this feeling of, “Oh, thank God, someone is able to do something about this!”  Nope.  The media just dishes out yet another serving of America- bashing.  They flip the story to another country that is burning our flag.  AND YET

                Which country is it that sends more money than any other to aid people in need? 

                Which country is it that sends more people to assist in danger spots of the world? 

                Which country is it that people WANT to immigrate to, legally or otherwise? 

I’m just saying, is all I’m saying.  At the end of the day, the people in THIS country have been pretty faithful in helping the world at large for quite a few decades. 

I’d like to see a flush-out of all the sensational journalist types, and a replacing of them with people of integrity who can tell a story of joy or sorrow and help you find the humanity in it.  I’d like to see ALL news outlets be able to proclaim they are “fair and balanced.”  I don’t even think the one that uses that slogan is able to say that honestly.  I would so like to say “farewell” to the news that is overtly dramatic for the purpose of selling more news.  I want the weather to be a real prediction, not a veiled spell cast by someone who shakes the snow globe and declares that this could be the coldest, snowiest winter ever.  Right.  It could be.  But you could also be wrong. 

The media has a tremendous opportunity to be a tool for culturing the morale of a society.  The radio, television and print venues reach a broad variety of people – people who arguably could use a little good news.  How empowering it would be to listen to something in the morning that could set the course for a positive, creative, and healing day!  I don’t even feel the religious stations are able to offer that at this point – and I listen to them.  People know instinctively if you are a cheesy salesman for your particular brand of religion, or if you are the Real Deal.  And no one really enjoys hearing the list of who is on dock for going to hell – it is my suspicion that if you are on that train it’s because you want to be there or decided to do nothing to change your situation. 

What I think we need at this critical juncture of life – well, at least MY life, is some healing words and positive encouragement.  I would even be okay with a little Garrison Keillor story every now and then to keep things light.  But the irresponsible journalists need to be sent packing.  I will donate the suitcases and type their resumes for them if it will bring some peace and harmony to our airways and newspapers.  As a friend of mine used to say to irritating people:  “Don’t go away mad; just go away.”
############




No comments:

Post a Comment