Thursday, April 21, 2016

"What if God was one of us?" Indeed.

“What if God was one of us?”

The words to the song by Joan Osborne always put me off, “What if God was one of us, just a slob like one of us, just a stranger on the bus trying to make His way home?”  It irritated my sense of the “dignity of the human person” to call us “slobs.”  And, at least from a Christian perspective, we do in fact believe that God became “one of us,” so by way of respect I wouldn’t want to use the descriptor “slob” in the same sentence of theological pondering about the nature of God.  It just doesn’t sit right with me.  But in view of some recent experiences I am starting to wonder about how God walks among us in some ways that are less than majestic and yet very obviously, um, godly encounters.

My friend Sandy used to pester me to watch the show “Joan of Arcadia.”  As I admitted previously, I don’t have television service.  Well, I might get a couple of channels if I bothered to hook up the antenna, but that is another issue also.  File it under the category of “Avoidable Nuisances.”  A few seasons of “Joan of Arcadia” came and went and I never saw them.  Then recently I figured out how to watch the re-runs on You Tube and I feel like I am getting a mini tutorial on those godly encounters I referenced above.  In fact, for just this one instance, television is actually supporting or clarifying some of my personal experiences.  I will tell you how and give you an example.

In every episode of “Joan of Arcadia,” they start the show off with that annoying song I reference above:  “What if God was one of us?”  And then in each episode Joan encounters a human person who speaks to her as if he/she is God.  Joan always knows who it is that is really giving the message when the person uses her name, “Joan.”  And then follows a commission.  It’s like, “Joan.  You really should join chess club.”  And then Joan protests about how she is busy, or how it will make her a social outcast to follow the directive, and finally gives in and does what “God” asked her to do.  And always Joan learns something from it. 

So I will tell you about one of my godly encounters.  But I must preface it by saying, “please don’t try this at home.”  You know how your parents taught you not to pick up hitchhikers?  Yeah.  I did.
This happened about 20+ years ago when I was “between jobs.”  I was struggling with not knowing how to get gainful employment in my field (Theology, English, or Ministry) and was hating the new city I had moved to because it seemed to be void of opportunity.  Generally speaking, I was in a miserable mood about where I was in life.  

I had moved back to the Northeast for a dream that blew up in my face before I even found an apartment to live in.  In fact, my dream imploded precisely within hours of moving to the city.  The reason I moved here – well at least my reason – no longer existed.  So, as the expression goes, I was making lemonade out of life handing me lemons.  I had left behind a beautiful southwestern state where people actually move to in order to flee the frozen tundra of the Northeast.  It was mid-winter and I was driving to my friends’ house for dinner.  The temperature was in the single digits but more accurately in the negative digits due to wind chill.  Snow was frozen all around us.  It felt like a ghastly, unromantic scene from Dr. Zhivago. I cringe just remembering that kind of cold.

I was driving my Chrysler down one of the main streets of the city when I saw a lone figure walking along the side of the road.  I could tell it was a skinny woman in a coat that was bulky and big for her.  Hood up, she was walking briskly along.  When I say that no one was out, I mean it.  NO ONE WAS OUT.  I was the only person on the road aside from the walking woman.  And then I knew.  I had to pick her up.  She was not even hitchhiking, really.  I pulled alongside her and rolled down the electric window with the touch of a button and asked, “Ma’am can I give you a ride somewhere?”

She leaned toward the car and said, “you’re not going the direction I’m going in.”  I said, “That’s okay.  Where I am going is not important.  I will take you where you need to go.  It’s not fit for man nor beast out here.”  She got in the car.  I looked at her tired, drawn face.  She looked older than what she probably was.  It appeared that smoking may have aged her face.  She at one point had a single drop of moisture on the end of her nose and I wondered if she knew it was there or had it frozen there.  Weird.  I asked her, “Where do you need to go?”  She replied, “Do you know where Wolf Street is?”  I turned the car and headed toward Wolf Street.  I began an attempt at small talk.

My question:  “Where on Wolf Street?”  led her to ask if I knew where a certain establishment was.  It was the name of a place where frustrated men go.  I replied, “Yes.  I know where that is.  Please don’t give me a heart attack and tell me that you are a dancer.”  She candidly said, “No.  I did that once but they threw a chair at me.”  (You are reading this and you are also getting an education, right?  The western movies never make it seem that the saloon girls are in danger, do they?)  She admitted she was unable to find a job because she only had a sixth grade education and no one would hire her.

I offered her some advice on how to get a job at a local garment factory.  I said to her, “Look, not everyone is entitled to hear your whole story.  But you can go to an interview and, so to speak, throw yourself on the manager’s mercy and say the truth:  you are trying to make a fresh start and need a chance.”  I myself was both wondering if and hoping that people still are receptive to honesty. 

As she got out of the car, she turned to me and said, “I guess I just have to trust, right?” 

It was then I realized that God had just tricked me.  He used HER to give me HIS message.  It was a quintessential one-liner urging me to trust.   Here I was being a baby about not having a job I felt suited my skill set; whereas, this woman had virtually NO skill set at all.  I was telling her to trust, in effect, when I myself who had all this talent and education going for me, wasn’t following my own logic.  I turned the vehicle toward my original destination and ran that encounter through my mind trying to absorb it all.  My friend who had dinner waiting kind of laughed at me when I told her the story.  That’s okay.  Laugh away, I just met God and He was pretty direct with me.  And He really didn’t look anything like I thought He would.  And I don’t find that funny at all.

#################

No comments:

Post a Comment