Friday, April 29, 2016

Silent Witness

Silent Witness
My grandmother used to say if I sat on the concrete front step I would get a “cold in my kidneys.”  And that was when it was 80 degrees out.  Frankly, I don’t know if that is true.  At this point in life it kind of doesn’t matter for me because I don’t tend to sit on concrete steps.  I’m not afraid of getting the proverbial “cold in my kidneys,” I’m just afraid of not being able to stand up from getting down that low.

This morning it was 49 degrees (Farenheit).  In order to relieve you from a mathematical brain teaser, that is about 17 degrees away from snowing.  Or if you are optimistically going in the other direction, it is 17 degrees away from a perfect spring morning. 

So you can imagine my surprise when driving on a busy main route on my way to work I saw a man sitting on the concrete on the side of the road.  I did not immediately think to warn him of getting a cold in his kidneys.  He was an anglo-American with a royal purple tee shirt and a black cloak wrapped around him.  He was bald and sitting lotus-style against a light post.  The funny thing is, as out of place as he was in that location, he was in the perfect place to send a message.  Almost unseen by most passers-by, his presence was a silent witness to our frenetic scurrying.  It said:  “Peace.”

He had no sign; he himself was the sign.  He did not need to protest something; he was endorsing something more powerful.  He did not need to draw attention to himself; he was being attentive.  He did not need to shout or berate; his silence itself was the loudest thing on the street this morning.

Whoever you are Sir, if your disenchantment with the noisy secular society has caused you to remind us to look in the mirror and repent, I thank you from the bottom of my heart.  If you are a young man who was raised in a Christian denomination that disappointed you with its own type of noise:  programs, requirements, and lack of focus on our necessary One Goal – your protest is a powerful reminder.  You won’t be misunderstood like the leaders of our day who attempt to bring us back on the rails of good order because you use no words that can be twisted and mangled by the media.  With your very body, you are a witness.  While my religion asks me to do this in its own way, I find even most faithful people will only go so far before they draw a line.

I have done silent prayer vigils.  I have marched on sidewalks with a rosary in my hand and prayed for people who are making harmful choices.  I know what it takes to do what you are doing.  People will hate you for taking a stand that is unpopular.  You may get something thrown at you.  Passers-by may call you horrible names, fly a negative hand gesture, or try to incite you to violent response.  And then there are the people who will bless you for your courage.  They will thank you for doing what they in their heart want to do, need to do. 

May you be wrapped in peace.  Shalom, my friend.

#####################

No comments:

Post a Comment