Thursday, March 31, 2016

Where the Brave Dare Not Go

If there was such a thing as reincarnation, I have substantial evidence that I may have been a far-East trader in another life.  I say this because while other women like purchasing items, I have an unbridled zeal for searching for items.  Something deep within my soul needs a mission, a project, a quest.  All of those things that Don Quixote sang about, but most particularly the “going” anywhere is in my DNA.  And in the context of these searches, I meet people – perhaps the most fascinating find of all – members of the human race in all their glorious quirkiness, generosity, stinginess, crabbiness, and the like.  And I drink all those experiences in like Kool Aid to a five year old on a summer’s day:  there is never enough.

On one such mission I traveled to what I would consider a run-down industrial city in New York state.  I was going to a “Catholic shop” to find a statue that the parish I was in would use in its missionary trips from home to home spreading family prayer.  The statue of the Blessed Mother lived in my mind as a Platonic image:  it existed in perfect color and facial demeanor and I intended to find it, accepting nothing less.  Needless to say at the first store I went to, the one that put out the high-gloss catalog, I did not find it…. But I could probably order it online for an arm and a leg.

So I went around the corner to the “other” Catholic shop…. the one that had more of the demeanor of an eclectic Catholic flea market.  And the woman minding the shop greeted me at the door and put it right out there that she was just minding the shop for the day, it sounded as if she was being held prisoner.  As I made small talk with her, I shared the idea that I had considered having my own store in the area where I was from.  She jumped on me like the gorilla in the luggage commercials:  “You’d have to do it for love, because there just isn’t money in it.  You practically lose your shirt,” she proclaimed almost bitterly.  Then, in conspiratorial tones, she confided, “And you know who are the worst to deal with?  Priests!  They want everything for free!  They don’t pay their bills!  How can you run a business like that?!”  Her sweeping generalization was not only shocking, but kind of over-the-top disrespectful.

She marched me around the perimeter of the store.  I expressed an interest in statues.  She showed me the Infant of Prague statue.  (A rendition of Jesus as a child in kingly robes holding an orb of the earth in his hand.)  “I sewed all the robes for him.  (The robes are changed throughout the liturgical year to match the altar linens and priests’ vestments.)  I used to make First Communion dresses and bridal gowns, too.”  I was half-listening.  I rounded the bend and found a statute of Our Lady of Fatima and began to examine it very, very closely.  After all, this was the mission for which I had come.  I dabble in painting, and I wasn’t liking what I was seeing.  The Blessed Mother’s long cream colored robe was supposed to be trimmed in a bit of gold and studded with small rubies.  The robe itself was not cloth, it was just one solid statue, painted.  And I moved my face in very close to that robe and began to wince.  

The shop keeper caught up with me and demanded:  “What?!”  I swear to you, she sounded like she could work in a bar room in the Bronx. 


I looked up at her and calmly stated, “You are asking $250 for this statue.  And frankly, whomever painted this gold trim did not have a steady hand….”  The woman shouted, “Are you married?”  (no.) and then roared in within a foot of my face and bellowed:  “And you NEVER WILL BE BECAUSE YOU’RE TOO DAMN FUSSY!”  I excused myself and left the store.  I wandered about the street a bit to get my land-legs back.  I floated back to the store minutes later to see a man handing money over the counter and taking the imperfect statue away.  He seemed happy.  I wonder if he was married.  

No comments:

Post a Comment