Monday, March 28, 2016

The Yellow Door

I became obsessed with the idea that the front of my house was boring.  In realtor's language, "It lacked curb-appeal."  Well, eight feet of snow-fencing trailing up the side of the driveway isn't exactly something you'd see in Better Homes .... or Martha's mag, is it?
I thought to myself:  What I need to do is paint my front door a soft hue of yellow - something that would be welcoming and bright and help me get over the blah's at the end of the workday.

Instead of keeping my thoughts to myself, I shared my idea with my friend Donna B.  who asked me point-blank:  "have you checked the feng shui on that?"  Nope.  So I guess I thought she was kidding.... until she emailed me a detailed explanation by someone who should know out there in Eastern-thought-land about what colors you "should" paint your front door based on the direction it faced.  Yeah.  No kidding.  So my north east facing door could only have certain colors.... according to the F-S people.  They were more particular than a Home Owner's Association.

There were certain hues that were acceptable.  I got confused just reading the list.  I know what direction my door faces.  I know what color I wanted on the house.  I wasn't sure about the "energy flow" business.  I said to Donna B, "Hey if by 'energy flow' they mean 'angels," then they can come in any door, any window, any vent.  But if they mean the bad guys - then I don't want that kind of energy in or near my house and I've got exorcised blessed salt and holy water to make sure it aint gonna happen."  I'm Catholic and we don't fool around.

I put coat #1 on the door last night.  I closed the door and walked outside to look.  The bottom half of the storm door blocks most of the color.  Rats.  But at least I picked the same color as an accent color in my bathroom (don't tell) over the shower area.  Tonight I painted coat #2 on the door.  I cleaned up everything nicely.  Put my supplies away.  Left the door ajar a little so that the cold air from the storm door didn't affect the house temperature too much.

And then I saw her.  My little brown dog who had apparently brushed up against the yellow door.  She sat down and turned away from me as if ashamed to let me get a photo of her yellow backside.  What's the feng shui people going to say about that?  The dog spun to all 4 directions of the winds just so as to avoid the camera.  I guess it will just have to grow out.  Unless I decide to paint the door brown, and then I won't have to buzz the dog to get rid of the yellow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment