Tuesday, February 23, 2021

Sleeping Beauty .... or Not

 


1:17, 4:44, 5:38 and then 06:45.  You would think they were a tip on lottery numbers.  Actually, they are the times I woke up last night after trying 2 nights prior of Melatonin.  You know, the Melatonin that’s supposed to make you sleep better.  I have an ongoing daytime health complaint that the doctor thought might be sleep-related.  I told her, “Nope.  I sleep fine.  I drop like a rock and sleep until the first time a dog needs to go out, and then fall asleep immediately thereafter until the alarm goes off or a dog steps on my collarbone.”  (Does that SOUND like I have trouble sleeping?)  She smiled, and told me to take Melatonin that it might help with sleeping.  No.  That’s not a cut & paste sentence error.  She heard exactly what I quoted to you that I said to her.  And, she reiterated a conclusion that was incorrect.  But in the spirit of good patient etiquette, I decided to give Melatonin a try, you know, to help with the problem I wasn’t having.

I took one Melatonin on Sunday night an hour before bed.  I woke up Monday and I felt like I was in Gloucester, the sea port:  Just feeling foggy and a bit disoriented.  Like a compliant (albeit foolish) patient, I took one again on Monday night.  Tuesday, same thing.  And very weird dreams.  Tons of dreaming.  You could wake up very tired from all the running around super-heroing I was doing in my dreams.  And I did.  So last night I said to myself, in so many words, “Melatonin?  Not doing it.” 




I woke up at 1:17 am.  Man, was I hot.  Well, the house was cranking 71 degrees inside, I had two dogs on either side of me and fleece sheets.  At least the electric blanket was OFF.  I think.  That’s not really “trouble sleeping” – that’s an environmental problem.

I woke up at 4:44 am.  That was a potty run for the dogs at a regularly scheduled time (T-1) minus one hour since I had been up at 1:17 am and didn’t waste the opportunity as far as they were concerned.  Do you know what it’s like to live with an intact male dog?  When they whine like they need to go outside, you take them outside …. Or, they go to the side of your couch …. Um, yeah.  Insert Remix of an old song here:  “It’s his potty and I’ll cry if I want to.”  I have tried so many different cleaning products on that side of the couch that I’ve created an environmentally hazardous smell.  It least it doesn’t smell like …

At 5:38 am I woke up because my stupid cell phone carrier decided it was an ideal time to “update” my phone and they (wrongly) thought that I needed a “doink” noise to let me know they were On The Job.  When my cell phone “doinks” at night, I do, in fact, get up and check it to make sure that all is well with my friends and relatives.  But if you send me a FB update after 11 pm, note to yourself:  I will be cranky with you next day. 

Yesterday I looked at the potential side effects of Melatonin on webmd. ARE YA KIDDING ME???!!!

“However, it can cause some side effects including headache, short-term feelings of depression, daytime sleepiness, dizziness, stomach cramps, and irritability. Do not drive or use machinery for four to five hours after taking melatonin.”

And

“Seizure disorders: Using melatonin might increase the risk of having a seizure.”

So what is my point?  To the younger generation that feels free to argue anywhere, anytime, with anybody, I guess I have no point.  To the older generation that listens to everything their doctor says or interprets as if it was Moses coming down from Mount Sinai (“take 2 tablets and call me in the morning.”), be your OWN best advocate.  Be honest with your physician.  Communicate – obviously politely – tell them what you think.  Yes, LISTEN.  And Listen Carefully.  But also know what is right for you.  I think a wine and a nap might be right for me. 

##############



No comments:

Post a Comment