Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Red Herrings and the Human Condition





I began the National Quarantine with military-like precision.  I had a plan, a rhythm of each day that I was going to follow and that was going to tide me through the Thing… which I anticipated would be about two weeks.  I would simultaneously remain joyful, lose weight, and develop a perfectly monastic prayer life.  I would turn the lemons into lemonade, and do it with triumph.

When I hit week five I noticed my regimen had deteriorated at week 3.  So much for my apostolic zeal.  But thinking about the bigger picture, I do not think my experience is atypical.  Like dieting, the moment you realize you haven’t been faithful to the original diet plan, there is a strong temptation to just throw the whole thing out the window as useless.  You begin telling yourself that you are okay as you are, you don’t have to lose the weight this year, you’re not as fat as Haystacks Calhoun on Hee-Haw so you should go easy on yourself.  All of those are true but they are wrongly colored fish:  red herrings, to be precise.

Red herrings make me really angry.  I mean it.  When I am hearing a discussion with two people and one of them throws a diverting red herring into the conversation, I can feel my pulse get fast and wild.  That’s because I hate manipulation in all its forms.  So rather than make glorious excuses for why I failed at my daily schedule, I started to look at things I actually did accomplish.  That gave me the “power” to realize I can cooperate with grace and put myself back on track with the schedule thing to a certain degree.

I am hard on myself for reasons known only to me.  But maybe that is one thing I can begin to change now.  So I thought I would share some of the home-bound accomplishments with you and encourage you to make your own list to get some traction beneath your feet too.

Ø  I began to be able to have fixed meal times.  At the point at which I left work-at-work, to become a worker-at-home, I had fallen into to three bad habits:  1)  breakfast on the run; 2) lunch at 2pm (with accompanying headache and crankiness); and 3) dinner at 7:30 because by the time I got home and got into the mood to eat, I had no good meal plan in place. 

Ø  I started to put more thought into what I was going to eat.  Tonight, I have homemade beef stroganoff on jasmine rice.  Don’t be too impressed, there are still TV dinners in the freezer, and mini cannoli’s in the refrigerator, but this is improvement.

Ø  I am able to leave a glass of water on the counter or table in plain view as a reminder that I need to stay hydrated to stay healthy in so many ways.

Ø  The Instapot that my dearest friend from high school days gave me two years ago for Christmas has finally gotten some use.  Yes, the beef stroganoff.  But did I mention the bundt cake pan?  No?  Well … let me tell you:  one cup of water in bottom of Instapot.  Put trivet down.  Mix ½ of orange cake mix, 1/6 cup oil, ½ cup orange juice, 1 egg.  Fold in semi-sweet chips because life is short.  Put it in the bundt pan with a piece of foil draped over the top gently.  Cook high pressure 22 minutes, 10 minutes natural steam release.  Try it.  You will thank me.

Ø  I tore out a raised bed that had dry-rotted wood and burned it.  In its place I put WTA (White Trash Art) – a truck tire painted blue (I want EVERY color rustoleum for my birthday this year!).  I put it in place as a planter and threw some echinacea tubers in there.  It will look fabulous when they bloom.

Ø  I have visited the farm next door more times in the past six weeks than in the past six years almost.  The horse and I have had some nice social time together – neither of us wearing masks, daredevils that we are.  The ducks and I have a game we play when I tend my fire pit.  It’s called “Silly Ducks!”  a version of Silly Goose?  They toddle under the fence and start wandering around the backside of the barn and I call to them:  “You Sillies!  Go back to the pasture!”  And then they scoot back under the fence.  We have done this numerous times because none of us has anything better to do.  My social life is on the par of a clutch of ducks.

Ø  I have finished a bunch of craft-painting projects:  two bird houses, a cranberry scoop, and three decoupage boxes.  That was accomplished weeks 4 and 5 when I thought I was going to snap from being inside and the rainy overcast weather that kept coming through this area.

Ø  I actually spoke with someone about getting a wife for Valor… and then they promptly sold the dog to someone else – which is because I couldn’t bring myself to place a deposit on a dog in OHIO.  I told her, “I don’t know when the borders will be open between the states; I would have to find an open hotel as well for the six-hour travel.”  That was two weeks ago and there still is a lot of ambivalence about travel and “opening” the country at large.

Ø  There were two nights last week where I skipped watching television.  At first television was a diversion.  Then it became what it always promised to be:  mind numbing.  I felt like the lives of Blue Bloods and the cast of Young Sheldon were more “real” than I was because at least they were eating dinner together.

Ø  I would like to, at this point, give a shout out to my Mother who talks to me every two or three days.  She makes me think I am checking on her.  We all know, she is really checking on me.  Although she did worry when I indicated the dogs were talking to me.  Hey, when Rex Harrison did it in the movie as Dr. Doolittle, he made everybody happy and grossed well at the box office.  When I do it, my family wants to take me into the mental health clinic.  I can’t catch a break, can I?

Ø  I am grateful for the young women next door who go on walks with me and the dogs periodically.  They say the average woman uses 30,000 words a day.  I am so far behind on my allotted usage, I feel like I have all these words crashing around in my head screaming:  “Let me out!  Let me out!”  Our walk & talks have been great.

Ø  I have washed my floor a few times in six weeks.  That is an accomplishment.  I have vacuumed one drawer, and cleaned up the bathroom closet.  More to come …

Ø  My mission relative to my people who have to go into work is to be of Good Cheer.  This is not necessarily my natural disposition, which is more like Maxine the cartoon character, I think.  So I send in food, or bring them candy, and put happy or funny things online when we chat throughout the day.

Ø  I had a snag yesterday when my laptop ate my thumb drive contents and therein used to be some chapters for my Family Legacy book I am compiling.   Let’s just say the wallpaper in the dining room curled slightly at the edges because I kept repeating the same word that sounded almost like “ship.”  I just walked away from that in a purple haze of fury.  Then as I tried to fall asleep, I remembered, there is one more place I can look on another computer …. Ah yes.  There they were, the little buggers.  My little chapters waiting to be thumb-drived again.

Ø  My deck is partially ready for summertime lounging.  Last year that would have sounded awesome to be in the month of May and have the deck ready for flowers and lawn chairs, etc.  This year, it sounds just like an OUTSIDE version of what I am already doing INSIDE the house:  waiting for nothing that I know of. 

So those are my updates.  I have more to do.  The list is longer than I care to admit.  And it appears we will have “more time” to do those things…. SIGH.  But as a parting suggestion I would say if you haven’t bought yourself a little bouquet of carnations or flowers of some sort lately:  DO IT.  The perk-up when you see bright cheerful colors on the countertop is so worth it!

Until the next rambling – Respectfully yours – Me writing from Dog Central.

#############

No comments:

Post a Comment