Saturday, March 28, 2020

Lock-down or Dream Vacation?



 The beautiful blue, gold, red and orange parrot tilted his head at me and smiled.  Then I realized he wasn’t behind the bars of his cage.  He was in front of his bars!  The bars were spaced surrealistically wider than usual and he had just slipped through them.  Now he was making his way across the front of the big, white cage that somehow didn’t seem to take up as much space as they really do, and he was headed sideways toward the white flat screen television that was mounted on the wall next to the cage.  (Who puts a bird cage that close to electronics?  Not too smart.) 

The picture disappeared from the television screen and I, lying closely opposite that wall and snuggled under a snow-white duvet, reached to the right for the remote.  The fawn colored pug stretched on my right and my arm reached beyond her again for the remote.

I spoke to the bird: “You are not supposed to be out of your cage.  Go back.”  He smiled and kept heading for the television screen.  I had a picture of the show for a minute, and then it disappeared again.  My right arm was trying to keep the baby from falling off the side of the bed next to me.  I looked to the wall next to my left shoulder and knew that beyond the sliding glass door set in this soft, all-white condominium my beloved ocean waited.

There was an awareness that my responsibility to hold the baby, or was it the pug, on the side of the bed despite its propensity to crawl forward and to the side, was tied to an obligation to someone.  And that someone was not in the condo. 

The phone rang.  My brain came up from a consciousness that I did not really want to leave just yet.  The two cocker spaniels on my blue and gold duvet popped up from a supine position, ready to start the day.  I made it to the phone in my nightgown and sock-clad feet just as she was speaking to the answering machine.  I intercepted her, mid-message.  It was a woman I spoke to yesterday about a doctor’s appointment for her.  She saw my “missed call” number on her home phone and dialed back.  She thought I was the post office and apologized to me.  I hung up, and was sorry it was not someone else who actually wanted to talk to me because my dream had been just a fanciful journey of a brain that did not want to wake up to the stark reality of a rainy day of Social Distancing.

And that person in the dream who was not there, but there.  Who was he?  He was someone that I
was supposed to be living with through this sad time.  I hope it was Russell Peters, the comedian/actor from “The Indian Detective,” because if you are stuck in lock-down you should at least be stuck with someone funny.  (that’s marriage criteria as well).
 The sun conure calls to me from the Bird Room in the house where I really do live and he just wants to see my face…. Well, yes, and get a Pepperidge farm goldfish cracker from me.  He is gloriously orange and gold and emerald and a few shades of burnt siena.  He is not like the mischievous parrot in the dream.  Nor am I Mrs. Anyone in real life, much less Mrs. Russell Peters.

The parrot gave me an important lesson in the dream:  attitude can free you from the cage, even if you can’t go far.  I know people who are rebels-to-the-core and can barely stand speed limit signs.  This requested, soft-quarantine I will call it, is killing them because they have not learned how to work with (instead of against) legitimate authority.  They are the ones who will argue a justifiable traffic ticket or push the limits of any rules and regulations and then wail like spoiled children when held to the same standard as the rest of the community.  This spot that we are ALL in is tougher for them because they are like un-broken horses:  it isn’t going to get fixed or liked in a day. 

I am thinking of the other extreme.  There used to be a convent of cloistered nuns on Court Street in Syracuse.  There they lived, I believe five of them, locked-down for life by choice for the rest of the world.  How for the rest of us?  It’s because they gave up the lives we live of zooming around to soccer practice, proms, restaurants, conferences, and the like, in order to pray for us.  They accepted being  confined so that we could somehow find true freedom.

Apparently, their prayers were not enough.  We didn’t even realize it but all our activities of “living” were actually spinning us and wrapping us into a spider’s web of “busy-ness.”  We liked it initially, but it kept wrapping us tighter.  It was getting hard for us to breathe.  We (America, particularly) would live at hell’s speed for 358 days and expect a 7-day vacation to fix us.  By all accounts of mathematics, logic, and physics, that couldn’t have worked for us.  God even built in a Day-7 rest for us every week and we refused to take it.  We continued our running, and acquiring, and doing, so relentlessly we could not have found the “stop” button unless we got fired or divorced or had a break-down.  Even then, we’d be too tired to sort out how to fix what we had become.

Decades ago, Father John in Pastoral Guidance class told us that sometimes break-downs were really break-throughs.  The thought of that made me kind of queasy in my stomach.  But now I’m wondering if it is true.  When some experience is so harsh that it actually “breaks” a part of the way we think and feel, perhaps some good can come from that.  Instead of letting the sad part of us tell our soul:  “This is the end of you,” maybe we can find the little piece of life in us that will croak out:  “This is a new beginning for you.”  I saw a commercial the other day where a woman went to break an egg to cook, and a little bird (digitized, for sure, because he wasn’t even damp-looking) peeped back at her when she separated the shell, and flew away.  Life is full of surprises that can turn out better than we hoped.

I live next door to a horse farm and have, more than once in the past eight years, lamented that I don’t visit the horses often enough.  It took me ten years of house-hunting to find this perfect house in a perfect neighborhood with beautiful horses.  But I was so busy going, doing, seeing, teaching, working, etc., that I rarely stopped to visit them.  I’ve got adult goats next door and I missed their entire “childhood” except for watching them through my back window occasionally.  I am told that little goats can be funny.  Well, with this round, I won’t know that.  Maybe next time there are baby goats I can visit and be present to the gentler side of life that has been here all along waiting for me to fully enjoy it.

Tonight, when I dream, I won’t need the parrot to visit me again.  I’ve lived today outside of the cage.  I will enjoy what is mine to enjoy for however long – and someday, I will go back to work.  But I will be a different person.  I just know it.

"Free bird"


############


No comments:

Post a Comment