Saturday, March 21, 2020

Denial - No Longer Just a River in Egypt





Denial – No Longer Just a River in Egypt
It has been almost 3 weeks since I heard the word “Impeachment.”  Not that I’m missing it, to be sure.  The media fed us a steady, no – unyielding and relentless – diet of impeachment:  threats, promises, alleged new facts, unearthed (not) new developments.  It made me sick to my stomach that an entire group of people demonized another and pursued his demise like vicious dogs.  Things got to the point that when I would turn on the radio looking for entertainment or perhaps distraction and I heard the I-word I would switch the station to elevator muzak.  Now, you KNOW it’s bad when you prefer elevator muzak to the other.
Then came a new word:  COVID19.  It sounds like a top secret government project, and years from now we may find out that it was, in fact, a laboratory project that escaped to contaminate the world.  They initially called it “corona” because the virus itself had a shape like a crown.  But I guess as a favor to the beer industry they changed it to the scientific-sounding name so that when the epidemic is over, the beer manufacturer wouldn’t be.  Imagine the problem their marketing team is going to have as it is – the name of their beer made so many people around the world dreadfully ill and in some cases killed them.  Even Dilbert can’t make humor out of that marketing disaster.
One of my favorite bloggers is using this as an opportunity to keep a Blog Diary.  He is a priest.  I know he will use it to inspire and encourage.  But what if it gets to a point like Robin Williams’ character in the movie “Jacob the Liar” where he can’t say anything good that is true?  Or maybe, just maybe, we have collectively lost sight of what is ALWAYS TRUE…. because we are in a form of collective denial.
                It is ALWAYS TRUE that God loves humanity and walks through this valley of tears WITH US.
                We live in a fallen world where things like viruses exist and they hurt us or people we care
                about.
But the fact that we DO care about someone, about something, shows that there is an underlying LOVE inside us – the evidence of God’s presence among us.
There are brave and brilliant people who go to work to address the issue directly.  They feed, heal, clothe those in need.  They work tireless hours in laboratories and manufacturing plants to find answers, cures, and testing procedures to support the end goal of LIFE.
There are ordinary people who may not fall into that category but can do their part in behind-the-scenes ways.  We can encourage.  We can tell a joke.  We can pray.  We can listen.  We can walk through this together. 
We can seek for a larger perspective together, so it is not as frightening.  That is an important task.
We can do things that support our front liners.  We can write a check or send take out or lend dvd’s for down-time.
The list goes on.  Maybe you need to think of your list of what is ALWAYS TRUE.  I started clearing my mind by washing my floor and doing some laundry.  These are tasks I usually have to “squeeze” into my schedule, but under the circumstances, I’m doing a lot less driving, running around, and useless galivanting.  Having my wings clipped, as it seems, is not bad but I have a reasonable doubt in my mind that I am going to be so at peace with it if it stretches on for too long.   My floors will be immaculate though. 
When it was suggested that I should work at home I kind of went into a little bit of denial.  This can’t be happening.  I will wear a mask, aren’t we over-reacting?  (ideas of a person who did certainly see the worldwide pictures on the news.)  In my brain, it felt like being labeled “non-essential” personnel was shameful.  That’s not how it was said.  But that is how it felt.  Until I pondered that I would actually be more out of harm’s way and that I do, in fact, enjoy spending extended periods with my dogs.  It may feel like retirement a little bit.
Except it is NOT like retirement.  It is not happy circumstances to be home when people you care very much about are in another state, or across town, or at your place of work… without you.  You want to be with them.  The very word “compassion” comes from two words meaning “to suffer-with.”  So there you have it:  my desire to be with people I care about vs. my need to not get ill.
And lest I fail to mention it, not being able to go to Walmart any time that I’d like is killing me quicker than a virus would.  Heaven help us.  I have used Walmart as a place to wander around and see things, and shop, and observe people, and just basically walk around.  It has served as my excuse behind the delusion that when I’m asked, “Do you exercise?” I say: “Yeah.  I walk around.”  Leaving the word “Walmart” out of the sentence being a detail.
The lost cast member from Duck Dynasty works at my landfill.  And I find him … fun.  I guess I’d say, “fun” would be the word for now.  I don’t know him.  I don’t know his name.  He had on blue nitrile gloves today and looked somewhat like Papa Smurf with a beard.  Until he called across the room, “HEY, BEAUTIFUL!”  Well THAT took me by surprise.  His co-worker had a look on his face like:  You did NOT just say that.  Buddy, you could get in trouble.”  Well, he won’t get in trouble for saying it.  Not to me.  Because when you’ve been home with the dogs for 3 days, crunching numbers for work, checking voice mails, cleaning house, shoveling dog poop, anything to get your brain to not worry – really TRYING to put your faith in God that this too shall pass – the man that calls you “beautiful” has just given you a gift. I will pray for him in the weeks to come.  Who would have guessed that working at a landfill could be the frontlines of being able to MINISTER to people at a time like this?!
To back-track a bit – three weeks ago I thought I’d give up watching television on worknights for Lent.  I did fine on week one.  Then, things got a little more intense with the virus information and I realized I was going to actually NEED television to distract my emotional system from what is going on.  This is no time for heroic gestures.  I lived for the better part of 30 YEARS without owning a television so I know that I can DO IT if I need to, that’s not the issue.  It’s just a tool I would like to now make use of for my own balance. 
I knew that giving up chocolate was out of the question.  I also knew that I gave up Dunkin’ Donuts drive through last year and that left me feeling a little, shall we say, belligerent?  There may have been days where I was, um, perhaps a little edgy.  Let’s skip that.  So last week I took out the Divine Office, which is a Catholic prayer book composed mainly of the Psalms.  I decided if I prayed that once a day, it would be a good practice.  Indeed.  Most of the Lenten readings were about praying for God to deliver us from bad things.  The timeliness of the prayers of every single day were not lost on me.
I am coming to rely on at least one good word from The Good Book a day to help me navigate the new normal.  I think that denial has to yield way to a transition period.  Things are not the way they were.  But going forward we have to make a path.  In some cases, we are going to return to what we used to do.  I may go back to my office.  I may start teaching Bible study again.  I hope to be able to travel in the future.  But we are unlikely to go back to tolerating the speed at which we were all functioning (or dys-functioning).  This can be a great opportunity to put things in proper perspective and focus on what matters most.  That’s what I think is possible.  We just have to choose it.
#####################

No comments:

Post a Comment