Friday, December 7, 2018

My Dream of Excellence – Part 3.



The only person who seemed visibly missing from the equation of dog breeding this latest round was Charleton Heston dressed as Moses.  At one point, I remarked to a friend, “So many hard things have happened this year that I’m kind of waiting for the plague of locusts.”  A week later, the dogs found a stink bug in the bathroom.  That’ll do.

Last winter I took Madeline Grace eastbound on the thruway to a stud dog.  I can’t explain fully what place you have to be in within your brain to do this.  Consider taking your dog to the home of a person you don’t know, introducing your dogs to each other and then watching them copulate in the kitchen.  There is an attempt at normal conversation, the getting-to-know-you piece, and then it stalls out.  The woman was standing leaning on her kitchen counter, I was sitting at the kitchen table holding my dog’s head so she wouldn’t snap at her suitor.  The woman and I both began laughing:  Yeah, it’s kind of awkward holding pleasant conversation in the middle of this.

She looked at the clock and said, “my gosh, I have to pick up my daughter!”  And I replied, “well the dogs seem kind of done, so I will just go home.”  I took my dog out to potty on the front lawn before we drove away.  Now I wonder if she pottied-out the donation because 8 weeks later when I took her to the vet to see why I saw no signs of labor … their x-ray said she wasn’t pregnant.  I had taken the day off for a delivery that was not going to happen.  I sat in the car in the vet’s parking lot and had myself a good cry. 

My dog had just gotten 8 weeks of pampering (French toast for breakfast) and special treatment for no good reason other than I’m easily conned by dogs.  We were past the fertility window and I had to hunker down and wait for the next bi-annual heat period to come.  ARGH!!!

So in late summer, I drove out to Western Massachusetts to a different stud dog.  This time, the stud owner was a man my age.  Talk about ramping-up the awkwardness.  I will skip all the details.  He gave me directions:  don’t let her out to potty before you get home (2.5 hours drive!).  And he kept re-iterating that he thought the timing was too early.  Darn it all to heck.  Last time I was too late; this time I was too early.  We got five weeks into the gestational period and I declared, “I think you are right; we missed the window.”  Again, my bad, had I left the dog for the weekend it could have happened – I just wasn’t comfortable with leaving her in a stranger’s place without me.  He was kind enough to mail back the half of the stud fee that I put down. 

A week later, the dog was passing through my kitchen and turned away from me and I realized:  “Holy smoke.  She is getting ready to nurse puppies” – she looked like a dairy cow from the back end!  I said nothing to him and just waited out the next 2 weeks of gestational period. She could be fooling me. 

I took off the calculated delivery date from work. <62 days from mating.> I waited all week and although she was large and panting, no puppies came.  I brought her into the vet’s office after that week of waiting.  They took an x-ray and saw one single puppy inside, making no moves to come down the canal.  Long story short, the vet did an emergency c-section on that Saturday morning in late September.  She was doing surgery, while I was in the other room burying my face in my sweatshirt and crying my heart out again:  I hate surgery and I am always afraid that I will lose my dog or her puppies.

The little guy came out at something crazy like 11 ounces and change.  That is quite big for a cocker spaniel puppy – they are typically 7 or 8 ounces.  Having dealt with the c-section after care with Bethany Pearl in a prior litter, I was ready to help Madeline Grace do her recovery simultaneous to nursing the new little guy. 

We settled the new momma and her pup into the well-equipped pen in my finished half of the basement.  For people who think dog raising is no big deal, here’s the scoop.  Sanitation and safety become my two main concerns.  My hands and fingers are very dry from washing the floor of the pen, and the tray in the kennel a million times.  I slept down there in the adjacent room for around 2 weeks just listening to the sounds of the night, making sure it was all good.  Whomever invented pipe frame futons needs to be put in jail.  That’s all I’m sayin’ about that.  There is a heating pad I place under the pups that clicks off every 20 minutes so I am repeatedly clicking that back on to keep them comfortable.  The dog experts say the room needs to be in the high 70’s for that first week, as their little bodies aren’t that adept at maintaining heat.  A cooled puppy is an at-risk puppy.  So it was September and October outside, and my house inside felt like I lived in Bermuda.

The momma dog’s appetite soars.  I am feeding her dry puppy food, some canned dog food to keep her interested, and cottage cheese as we near the week when he begins to wean.  The other two dogs don’t want to lose my attention so there are other shenanigans that unfold.  Week one or two, the whole house went on strike for French toast.  Bethany Pearl wandered into the pen at week two, to grab some dry dog food and Madeline mistook her intentions and roared out at her.  It was not play-fighting.  No sirree, Bob.  But I didn’t think it was anything other than corrective on Madeline’s part.
A week later, Bethany could barely put weight on her front paw and her chest and collar bone area became mysteriously swollen.  I panicked, and thought it was cancer that struck out of nowhere.  I ran her into the vet’s office and they found actual bite marks that had infected on her chest.   So a new addition to my daily dog duties was wound cleaning.  And then I had to organize myself to give her the antibiotics consistently for over two weeks. 

Just a few nights later, I stepped into the unfinished laundry area of the basement and noticed something on the open cat box.  The cat box that my cat doesn’t use.  Ever.  I stepped closer and identified a little mouse sitting there looking freaked out.  I took him outside and tossed him into the snow.  He crawled up to the top of the green snow fence and sat there looking cold.  I went inside.  Have I mentioned the increased population of hawks in my area?  Somewhere I could hear Elton John singing, “The Circle of Life.” I had a word with the cat:  “Whatever you do, do not drop these things on my futon or upstairs.”  The next morning, I woke up to see the cat lying opposite the futon on a carpet…. And two feet to her left was another freaked-out looking mouse.  My battle ensued to ensure sanitary living space.

Among all this other hoo-hah, include the Day 2 vet visit with the Little Puppy to get his tail docked and dew claws removed. In the puppy pen area, I have a small digital scale and a notebook where I weigh the puppy twice a day until ounces turn into pounds.  Then there’s a well-puppy visit at about 6 weeks that good breeders do so the new owners and I all know that the little guy has been vet-checked and is good-to-go. And the 4 doses of puppy wormer that gets fed to all the dogs at weeks 2, 4, 6, 8 to make sure everyone is well. 

All of the activities it takes to produce a healthy, well-adjusted litter are like a Dog Symphony.  I tell my friends any time I approach the delivery date of a litter that I will be mostly off-the-grid, and now on Dog-Time.  The needs of the litter and my dogs have to come first.  I get tired.  I also get nostalgic and teary about a week before the going home-day, but I am determined to conduct this orchestra.  Not everyone can manage being an Arthur Fiedler, but then again, not everyone has the opportunity to conduct the Boston Pops.


################

No comments:

Post a Comment