Thursday, December 20, 2018

My 2018 Special Project





For a while, they were popping up everywhere like dandelions on a summer lawn.  Except we make quick-work of pulling out dandelions where I come from – and these other things should definitely stay.  I am referring to “Little Libraries.”  A Little Library is like a crate mounted on its side to the top of a post.  The front part of the crate faces, not up, but out toward you and typically has a plexi-glass panel that hangs down to protect the books inside.  Private citizens put them up, obviously to encourage reading.

Where would you see them?
I believe the first one I noticed was in front of the house near the ice cream stand down on the south side of the city.  What a perfect place!  It looks like it needs some attention at present, with books askew a few different directions, visible from the street and the plexi glass looks like it may not be hinged level… but that’s just me a Type A looking at these things.

The second one was in a residential neighborhood with a bench next to it.  That particular Little Library, and its bench & house, has a quaint white church situated across from it.  I imagine that if the Diocese hadn’t closed the church due to, not lack of funds, but lack of imagination, people would still be there every weekend.  And as they strolled to their homes on pleasant mornings after leaving church, they could peek at the Little Library and perhaps borrow a book for inspiration that week.
There is yet another Little Library packed with romance novels that sits in a cove at one of our nearby State Parks.  The perfect place to grab a read if you are out there camping with no Barnes & Noble for miles away!  Maybe the best part of camping – aside from the fires at night – is just sitting there in your lawnchair pretending to read a book while listening to the neighbors banter at the next campsite (voice of experience).

Lastly, I remember noticing one on a small side-street in Ocean City, Maryland.  As my vacation companions and I walked toward the boardwalk I said out loud, “Oh, there’s one!” as if I saw an old friend.  I always check to see what books are inside.  I am curious and I wonder if people leave their favorite books, or ones they are okay to never see again.  Hmmmm….

Meanwhile back at my workplace, one of the ladies started piling books on the counter near my desk.  It was becoming messy and I began thinking of a solution.  It was kind of fun – I went to the store and bought a crate and painted the outside of it, decorated it with stickers of books and hot air balloons, and clever sayings.  The finished pieces are not on a post or stand – just placed on a counter or end table.  They require no flip down plexi-glass to guard the books (in most cases).  Thus, the Indoor Little Library-making phase began for me. 


One of our long time staff physical therapists walked by my desk, caught a glimpse of the Little Library, and stopped on a dime.  He said to me, “I have been on the board for the library in my town for years.  I take photos of Little Libraries when I see them on vacation.”  That weekend my creative spirit began to stir – I made him his own Library and wrapped it into a large gift bag.  I brought it to his department’s office.  Later when he came down to thank me he said:  “In all the years I’ve worked here, that is the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me.”  He had tears in his eyes.  So did I. 

I made one for my favorite Latin scholar.  I made one for my guy who fixes the machinery that I break at my house.  I made one for each of my two nephews, Michael and Gabriel.  Most recently, I made one for the chapel at church.  This project has been a creative outlet for me.  I love choosing the colors and slogans and stick-on’s for each Library.  No two is the same:  compasses, race cars, Biblical phrases, and small book stickers abound. I believe I even have a cute little monster on one of them. 


I think reading is the key to success in any career or life path you choose.  When you read different genres, you ingrain the use of good English (unless you are reading something written in dialect:  think of the difference between Professor Higgins and the flower girl in My Fair Lady and you get the idea).  I myself am a voracious reader and book hoarder.  There.  I admitted it.  I hoard books.  But I know where they all are – on my shelves at home, tucked in a box in my car, or on the coffee table Little Library in my kitchen – there is order.   You won’t trip over them.  They are not a mess.  But when I die, whomever cleans out my house is going to be mad as a wet hornet at me.
I taught high school in the early 1990’s and always pushed teens to read.  It does wonders for your SAT scores.  It opens doorways to understanding a broad variety of philosophies and peoples to you from the comfort of your own dwelling.  A good book is a good friend when you are in the waiting room at the doctor’s office. A boring book is a great cover if you are eaves-dropping on people at the beach.  LOL.  Books are so useful in so many ways that I pity people who hate to read for whatever reason. 

I guess I would say that I write because I read; but also, I read because I write.  It is a happy circle that I wish everyone could share!  So if you run into me at Walmart or Michael’s looking at wooden crates you’ll know someone is about to be proselytized into the amazing world of Literacy!

#########




No comments:

Post a Comment