Tuesday, January 24, 2017

The Natural Pitfalls of Improvisational Leadership



The Natural Pitfalls of Improvisational Leadership

I was thinking of the act by which ships are “christened” for their maiden voyage as the empty glass soda bottle in my eleven-year-old-hand connected with the giant oak tree at the Polish Veteran’s picnic grounds.  That was most definitely NOT what the adults around me were thinking as they swarmed in my direction.  I vaguely remember dropping the bottle and looking at the faces of the one or two younger kids with me, yet now I cannot remember who they were.  Lucky them.  I do remember that as we had finished our sodas I declared:  “Let me show you what to do with this.”  It was ceremonial in my head.  Yeah, the adults didn’t feel that way.

“It seemed like a good idea at the time.”  The road to hell has that spray-painted along the sidewalk, and with good reason.  People believe that there are such things as “born leaders.”  To a certain extent, I disagree.  A person may have leadership qualities, a certain charisma that causes others to listen more readily to their opinions, or other non-common traits that set them apart, BUT, (and this is a big but) they have to have a good role model in front of them to steer the zeal in the correct way.  (Television does not provide that.)  That role model can be a contemporary person or a set of principles or morals that are clearly articulated (ie The Golden Rule or the Ten Commandments, etc.) but no one can be a leader in a vacuum and not get it wrong at least sometimes.  Perhaps the things that actually go right are just moments of the kindness of God saving them from lifelong humiliation?  I don’t know.  I just am willing to go on record agreeing with the quote of the late Thomas Merton, monk from Gethsemane Abbey, “No man is an island.”  We need the example and influence of others.

My first moment of trying out the theory of improvisational leadership kind of spooked me about leading anyone or anything again.  Mainly the adults at the misunderstood-event YELLED … particularly that woman who was scary-looking already.  She was stocky and pale and had a wild eye and always seemed to be ranting about something.  I am sure that my kid-brain locked her in that way forever…  just like the other adults I knew who didn’t take the time to ask, “What was that all about?”  Thank Heavens, I was too big to spank.  My father was “working the wheel of fortune” table so I bet he was preoccupied enough where I was told, “Yeah, don’t do that again.”  After I am done writing this, I will ask him if he remembers the incident.  Five bucks says he won’t. 

Improvisational Leadership is the term I would use to describe what Type A personalities do when given the chance to lead in an area where they have zero life experience.  I remember speaking with a man about thirty years ago who told me he was a consultant.  I asked him, “What do you consult about?”  He answered:  “Everything.”  THAT MAN was an improvisational leader in order to get a paycheck.  He would either have to research the areas of his consulting that were weak and foggy, or he would just have to make crap up.   I hope he didn’t do that.  But it is probably not the first time that an improvisational leader made up details to suit the occasion.

Improvisational leaders can be misunderstood.  They can have the best of intentions … which end up inadvertently paving the same, extremely southbound-road that I mentioned above.  They move forward because they were given – or interpreted that they had – a moment of confidence from followers.  They often have noble ideas.  It’s just that the raw material of the universe doesn’t always build nobility if you have no clear model to follow.  You take a risk, because you are a risk-taker by nature, always believing that somehow a special star shines above you and if you do “just this one thing” your greatness will be revealed.  So yeah, I guess that puts them in a fantasy world at times.  It is a benevolent fantasy world with great ideals being achieved and justice and fairness and who wouldn’t want to be a part of bringing that about?! 

Permit me to take you to the bathroom at about the same time period as the bottle event.  My younger brother, at my elbow, we stepped into the family bathroom and I proceeded to take the singular bottle of Chanel No. 5 perfume from the closet.  It was half-empty.  In my world, anything half-empty demands to be addressed.  My mother deserved more.  So by the amazing principle of Liquid Expansion, I just began to add water to make “more” perfume.  Why not?  I will tell you why not.  The next sound we heard was my mother at the door demanding we OPEN THE DOOR RIGHT NOW.  “Just a sec,” was not an acceptable response, but it did buy a few more minutes for my Father to get to the door also.  “Great.”  Now two parents would see how generous and noble their children are!  Yet, oddly, that is not how it shook down.  All I can say is that an appropriate punishment might have been to force me to take a Chemistry class in high school a few years later so I would grasp why my nobility principle didn’t work with the water in the perfume.  Had they recognized my Improvisational leadership leanings, they should have made sure I took Chemistry.  But it did not happen that way.

I would like to propose that leading-with-no-clue, while dangerous, might be a better option than the alternative:  no leadership at all.  Sometimes in the swirl of daily life things take on a hectic, yet predictable, rhythm.  And while I have a few friends who willingly elect that lifestyle, I am desiring very much to step to the edge and see what else can be done in whatever situation I find myself.  So for all the risks and pitfalls of this disposition, it is to me a much more attractive option than a slow death amidst the march of time.  

On more than one occasion upon visiting a new city or event, I want to take the road-less-traveled.  I don’t want to eat the hot dog from the street vendor’s cart in D.C.  I want to take the Metro and find the Post Office Mall and get a franchise taco or slice of pizza and then take the elevator up to the top of the roof and “see the city.”  When I am in a mountain Adirondack town and the drizzle is threatening overhead, I still want to walk through the rain to see if the log cabin gift shop still exists down the street, as it does in my memory, even if I step in an ice cold puddle on the way.  Discomfort is a part of life.  I detest it only because it slows the journey and hampers the exploration.  Well, that, and it makes my foot crinkly and prune-ish.

Do not bail me out of my journey.  Do not shake me from my dream world.  I am putting my “all” into finding my way and improvising as I go.  Join me, won’t you?

#################

No comments:

Post a Comment