Thursday, August 4, 2016

The Touch of God

The Touch of God
Many years ago in a land far, far away, I had the Perfect Job.  It included travel to islands & amusement parks, teaching (my first love), retreats, and being around teenagers.  I was a full time youth minister.  It is only now 30 years down the road that I realize it was the Perfect Job.  And now that I have the confidence, humor, and ability to hold the attention of at least 50 kids at a time, I realize those are things I wished I had more of back then.  In other words, I wish I had the Ability and the Opportunity simultaneously …. But perhaps that is how you develop the ability, over time.

I was speaking with someone new in the ministry last week and we were talking about reading lists.  I said to her, the first book I read on the job was called, “You can sell anything by telephone.”  In fact, it was so helpful that one of my dearest friends said:  “The reason I volunteered was because Chris wouldn’t let me off the phone until I said YES.  She could sell toilet products to Eskimoes.”  Um, I think the phrase is:  “refrigerators to Eskimoes,” but hey, whatever they need, I’ll give them a call!

One of my working principles for culturing both volunteers and the teens was always this:  I will not ask you to do anything that I myself am not willing to do.  With this in mind, there were two young men that, as the time got really close to make their confirmation, reported they had not done their community service hours.  Are you kidding me?!  Why they waited that long, I will never know …. not unlike some people who would be in the Procrastinators Anonymous Club but never got around to filling out the paperwork.… So among the three of us, we decided to visit a nursing home to fulfill the hours there.  I went with the boys.  We had to come back with our rabies vaccinations, I mean, proof of TB shots, before we could start doing whatever it is that we were to do there.  I had no clue.

One man, a tall, thin, nonverbal Native American in a wheelchair, got a very big charge out of my teen Mike pushing him around the hallways.  When Mike paused to chat with me, the gentleman would make a huge pointing gesture with his arm as if to say, “Onward!”  and the pushing around continued.  I myself went into the recreation room.  My lesson for the day was there.  Except, I wasn’t the teacher; I was the student.  Apparently the Almighty gets a big charge out of role reversals and making us see things through a different person’s eyes.

Two women sat at the table with paints and projects.  Perhaps this initial vision is what turned me against nursing homes (for myself).  As an amateur painter at heart, I couldn’t imagine being old, in-bound, and given only three bad colors (think: brown, garish purple and avocado green) to paint with and crappy little pieces of children’s figurines that someone already wrecked.  That was the first impression that stuck with me:  how trapped they must feel!  Even people who aren’t artists need better colors – or at least primary colors to mix and play with.  Someday, I’ll be organizing a break-out from my nursing home to go to one of the craft stores to get real supplies!

The two ladies in front of me, however, were not really painting anymore.  No surprise there, given what I just shared with you, right?  What was most striking about them, as I stood behind listening to their conversation, was the personality difference.  It was like a lesson in spirituality:  namely, acceptance with joy brings peace.

Louise sat in the chair and forced out the bitter words, “Here I am in this place and my kids are off living their lives.  I don’t deserve this.”  She raised a fist to the sky and addressed the Almighty, “Why don’t you just kill me?!”  It was too much like someone living out the bad advice from Job’s wife in the Old Testament, “Job, look at all your suffering.  Why don’t you just curse God and die!”  I stepped back a pace, afraid the Boss would take her up on the request.  I was too young to get struck by lightning. 

She re-grouped her powers and continued, “They brought me to this place.  They took my cat <insert a lump in throat here> and put her to sleep … and then they brought me here.”  My eyes widened.  I considered my own household at the time:  if someone put my dog down … they’d need an elephant tranquilizer to get me to the nursing home.  To use the redneck expression best fitting it:  “I’d tear the place up.”  You know how our minds are:  we consider, we are horrified, we plan for the unlikely.  Nonetheless, I get slight chest pains as I type this. 

She tried for a third, brief rant:  “I hate my life.  I want to die.  I have no friends.”

What do you do with that?

And ever so sweetly and quietly, the woman who sat in the wheelchair next to her reached her hand over and placed it on Louise’s arm.  “Oh, Louise, you have me.  I am your friend.”  <excuse me I have something in my eye. >  Louise turned her weathered face to look at Suzie with her shining, yet wrinkled cheeks and silver bun of hair on her head.   “Suzie, you are a good friend.  Yes.  A good friend.” 

Suzie offered a new perspective, “Louise, we have lived our lives and now our children are trying to live theirs.  They have jobs, …. And we can be happy here.  I thank God for my life.  And I thank God for you.” 

Louise was not an immediate convert.   Yet she did soften and the comfort of her friend took on a new meaning for her:  she was no longer alone because someone dared to touch, to care, to speak.  And as for me, I drifted away …. Far, far away to another place and time and yet they live in my mind eternally as that one moment.  The poignancy of compassionate love – really, the touch of God to a human heart – and I see them again as I left them.  And then I think about the bastards that killed her cat. 
#################



No comments:

Post a Comment