Sunday, July 17, 2016

Pet Adoption in America 101 - #1




I am going to write three articles and then ask you, the reader, to see if you agree with my starting hypothesis:  It is easier to adopt a human child from a foreign country than it is to adopt an animal from a rescue or shelter in the United States.  That seems like an outrageous claim to make, no?  And while the value of the adoption is certainly not comparable from an ethical standpoint, my premise is based on life experience over the past few years that has nonetheless given me a few grey hairs.  I’m not just talking about dogs either – I will tell the tales of feathers and fur – a dog story, a cat story, a bird story.  But I will begin with a people story.

A few years ago within months of losing my first dog, I had to take my newly adopted canine basket case to Doggie Boot camp.  I first registered with the cheapest dog trainers in the area for group training.  (Obviously I am going to omit names and company affiliations to protect people.  Although mostly it is just to protect me because they should be blown-in.)  I showed up with my very nervous dog to a group training session and the leader explained that we would get a certain amount of sessions for our registration fee. … and a fanny pack.  Why the fanny pack?  “To keep treats in,” I was told.  I approached the leader privately after class and said to her that I was going to un-register since our dog training philosophies were not the same.  I want a dog who is going to obey me even when I DON’T offer treats.* She assured me that even in the show ring dogs are provided treats.  She said she suggests string cheese because you can hold it in your mouth so you have both hands free to work with the dog.  And I’m thinking, there has to be a point where that gets slimy and yacky.  She took it one step further and said, “Well, when I train my dogs, I actually have the cheese in my mouth and spit it to them or dribble it down the front of my shirt so they are always watching my face.”  Yeah.  She really said that.  (italics added for emphasis)  And I really called her boss and got my money back.

My second choice for training the dog may have actually been a charm school drop-out.  Oh, for sure, he was a fantastic dog trainer:  fantastically expensive and very successful in his profession**.  In fact, I think he could train big cats for the circus and do even better.  But with people, um, not so much.  At the point of dropping a large sum of cash (to my budget) for the task at hand – which absolutely had to happen – I was I believe understandably edgy.  And also my dog hated men…  men who wore hats.  And the trainer was … a man … who wore a hat.  One of the first things he said to me was:  “You have the order of the universe screwed up.  It goes:  God, People, dogs.  You have the last two flipped.”  Charming.  Close the deal with a paying client by insulting or intimidating them to their face. 

I dropped the dog off for Day One of training with him alone.  Well, not really alone, since he lived with a pack of dogs that are of various terrorist-related breeds.  I handed him a plate of cookies I had baked as a good will gesture – you know, like giving an apple to the teacher.  He responded, “It is amazing how many women drop off their dogs and give me cookies.”  Ten years ago I took that on the chin.  If it happened today when I as a midlife woman have “come into my powers of wit & wile,” I would have replied, “Oh no, those aren’t for you.  I’m taking them to work with me this morning and I just needed you to hold them for a second.”  Beautiful 20/20 hindsight – Oh, for a second chance.

So how did the dog fare?  We worked our butts off for five weeks, she and  I.  She would heel, sit, stay, not jump on the counter and in the long run became a more well-adjusted dog.  She is a great dog for me.  But as he pointed out, she still will have issues because of whatever her first owner put her through.  After living with her for almost a decade I think that is pretty much true; however, she has mellowed considerably…. except for men with hats…. And I guess I don’t blame her.  I now feel funny around men with hats.  Her other faults are minor and I am at peace overlooking them.  In fact, I am afraid of vacuum cleaners too.  LOL.

Her Adoption:  Case Study #1
My first dog was from a shelter in Maricopa County, Arizona.  She was a beautiful white and red cocker spaniel that I believe never was able to potty train in all the 17+ years of her life.  When she was in her final stages of mammary cancer she spent most of her days sleeping on the cool tile floor in our bathroom.  I began my search for a bigger dog for more of a guarding function as well as companionship.  I went to a variety of shelters over a period of two years in my search.  One summer day, I passed through a kennel and found this beautiful liver-colored Labrador mix weighing 35 pounds curled quietly in a cage.  I spoke to her.  Her sad eyes reached right through to me.  I said to her, “come on, wag your tail and give me something to go on here.”  She lifted the tail and let it flop slightly.  Then she sadly rested her chin on her front paws again.  I told her:  “I will rescue you.  I will give you a great life.”  And the drama began.

I approached the kennel girl and asked her to please take the dog out and walk her down the long hallway away from me so I could see that her hips worked properly.  I squatted down (it was over ten years ago, I could do that then without getting stuck.  LOL.) and watched her gait.  At the end of the hallway, the girl dropped the lead and I called the dog.  She ran into my arms.  (insert tears here.)  Then, bombshell #1:  “You can’t have her today because she is under observation since she just came in two days ago.”  Fine.  I get that.  I called them on Monday morning to ask if I could get her.

“I’m sorry, there was a family that was interested in her and we are waiting to hear from them.”  I agreed that, yes, she would be happy with a family environment and said I would call back.  Next day.  I called back.  “I’m sorry, there was a guy after the family that was interested in her.  Well, he’s been through looking at a few dogs so I think he might just be kicking tires.  Call back tomorrow.”  I just put it out there to her:  “Look, I can give this dog the Life of Reilly.  I feel like you are giving me the run around.”  She told me to call again.  Third phone call.  “No.  He didn’t call us but she has bad diarrhea and we need to have her see our vet.”  Fourth phone call.  “How is the dog doing?”  Call back on Saturday morning.  My gosh, I’m running out of calendar days for all this jazz.  Final phone call.  “Um, we need you to bring in your other dog to make sure they are compatible.”  Are you KIDDING ME???!!  My other dog is in the bathroom, DYING as we speak, and you want me to haul her all the way out there???!!!  “Yes.  I’m sorry it’s policy.”  So I scooped my precious Serena up and drove her out there to meet this dog and they were fine.  I think it was almost a nose-to-nose handing off of the baton ceremony when they met.  And STILL the kennel staff would not let me take the dog home.  Next day, and I swear I’m never calling them again, I called and the girl cheerfully said, “Her stomach is all good now and you can take her home today.  We were hoping that she would get better so you could have her.”  I hung up the phone and cried.  And that was before I realized she’d have to have training at Boot camp.

WHO does this to people?  What other organization takes upon itself the right to string a customer along while at the same time flooding out the propaganda that you shouldn’t buy a brand-new, home-made puppy from a breeder?  Car salesmen even know that selling you a USED car is always second-best to selling a first-run vehicle.  And they tell you when they have one on the lot and it is “almost sold.”  You don’t ever call back, and call back, and call back.  They want to close the deal asap so you don’t walk.

*(footnote on dog training)  I have one dog in the house that I have treat-trained and she will sit in the garage until the cows come home unless I offer her a treat to walk up the two steps into the kitchen.  Initial point proven:  do NOT treat-train dogs. 
**(footnote on Dog Trainer #2)  I have actually referred quite a handful of people to him to train their dogs – but with the caveat to not expect gracious conversation.  Cesar will have no competition for his spot on tv.
#################


No comments:

Post a Comment