Wednesday, July 7, 2021

Nuchem and the "damn evil people"

 


“Damn evil people …” he scowls.  

Nuchem, the favorite character I love to detest on the series 
“Shtisel” says this phrase routinely.  He usually is referencing the Zionists, or the Gentiles, or anyone who crosses him:  “Damn evil people.”  In his own esteem, he is a blameless orthodox Jew who only cuts the corners he feels he is entitled to cut… We all know how that is.  We’d like to hold all others to the highest of standards – Biblical and otherwise – but for ourselves, ah, “mercy, mercy!”

Perhaps it is because of people like Nuchem – and every religion and group of people has them – Jesus taught His followers to pray to G-D in heaven, “and forgive us, as we forgive those who trespass against us.”  Impossible, right?  This is why we pray it, and don’t declare that we’ve accomplished it already.  Because if we were already forgiving that perfectly then we’d be … oh, probably dead, because dead people are the only ones who have completely let go.  And even then, I would make a case for the tormented souls who come back to haunt houses or pester those that wronged them.  Even in death, perhaps there are some that cannot let go.

My friend Mary’s saintly mother always used to say to us: “Let go, and Let God” and she’d smile at us.  Perhaps she knew how that saying tormented us, each being Type-A personalities.  We like justice.  We like peace and order.  And I think we each secretly suspect that “if everyone would just do what I say I wouldn’t have to be so bossy!”  (I have a picture that says that in my house.  In the photo, I am four years old in my little pinafore dress, pointing my finger at the camera, mouth wide open.)  “If everyone would just do what I say, I wouldn’t have to be so bossy!” 

I think of Nuchem and his “damn evil people” grumblings when I clean the litter box.  Here’s why.  When I was growing up – back when dinosaurs roamed the earth freely – we used paper bags for groceries.  Then someone decided we were killing too many trees with making our paper bags.  So, they put the social pressure out and paper bags all but vanished.  In their place came wispy plastic bags.  And this is where the old adage “history repeats itself” comes into play.  Happily, we used plastic bags. 

The new set of “damn evil people” began patronizing us referring to them as “single-use-bags.”  I almost attacked the last person who said that to me.  They ARE ABSOLUTELY NOT SINGLE-USE BAGS!  In fact, at one point I had so many of these multi-use bags at my house (tucked handily into …. One big bag) it’d require a dump truck to clean them out if I decided to, well, die or something.  I re-used them for moving casseroles to friends’ houses if I thought the food would spill.  I threw sneakers in them and tossed them into my vehicle in case I needed sneakers in an emergency.  (What kind of emergency requires sneakers, I do not know.  Probably situations where flip-flops break or shoes get wet.)  The multi-use list goes on and on, but my all-time-favorite use for those bags was to clean up after the amazing cat that loads the litterbox like four or five times a day. 

So, the single-use bags were definitely NOT single-use for me…. And now They are demonizing my plastic bags.  One guy said to me:  “use paper bags.”  Clearly, we stopped caring about trees.  Clearly, he has never cleaned a cat box.  Clearly, he has bought the damn evil lie.

Another moment of educating The Millenials:  this is NOT about saving sea turtles.  The U.S. wasn’t dumping OUR plastic bags.  Your mother, your grandmother and I have all been re-using them.  It was some ignorant – and I say that in Christian charity (what’s left of mine) – foreign country that was just dumping their landfill into the ocean.  THE PEOPLE are the problem.  Not the turtles.  Not the bags.  IT’S THE PEOPLE. 

And, not only is this NOT about saving turtles.  It is about money.  Because – guess what – I now have to BUY specially produced, recycled …. Plastic bags with handles you can tie in order to scoop out the litterbox 4 times a day.  Thicker bags, one use, and I now get to pay for it.

Damn evil people.

###########



No comments:

Post a Comment