Tuesday, July 7, 2020

Championing Dogs


“We are more than just champion dogs.  We are the dog’s champion.”  This advertisement for the American Kennel Club is on my refrigerator.  Why?  People put what is important to them on their fridge:  their children’s artwork, the card with the date of their next dentist appointment, inspirational clippings, postcards from favorite places, photos of family.  Among all those other things, I want that AKC ad on my fridge because I am proud to be part of an organization that supports dogs and dog owners.

My dogs bring so much joy to my life.  I have always loved dogs so when I graduated from college and moved to the southwestern part of the United States, it was high on my list to have my own dog.  I found a sweet white and red cocker spaniel at the local animal shelter after months of searching.  We had great times together – she accompanied me on retreats I gave to teenagers from my church, camping expeditions, and walks in the lovely Kiwanis Park.  Because she had beautiful conformation and  a fantastic disposition, I had always hoped to breed her but I knew that I needed to own a home in order to provide a stable base.  It didn’t happen in time.  But I knew that whatever I did going forward would be in her memory:  I want people to have the same great relationship with a dog that I did.  And that means that the dog has to bring as much to the table as the person does in order for that to work.  The dog has to “come from good stock,” so to speak – both health and temperament - and the person has to be ready to give appropriate care and attention to the new family member.

My second dog was another “rescue” from a local animal shelter.  She was a fabulous silvery-chocolate lab mix.  While we fell in love instantly, it took an investment in special training to get her to be better with other people…. and more obedient to me.  I learned a lot from her about dog “body language” from her.  Her tail, her posture, her fur – all these things told me if she was fearful or wary or happy.  She was a great soul that had a rough start in life with someone else.  I was able to turn that around with a lot of hard work and dedication.  That experience made me aware of the commitment it takes to train and care for a dog.  It is what they deserve, and it ensures we will have a happy life together.

The dream of bringing purebred puppies into the world and providing families with a great dog continued to grow in my heart.  I knew that I wanted to breed cocker spaniels.  I knew that I wanted to start with a tri-color and that she must be from an AKC breeder.  I searched and searched online and finally found her – and flew her in to my home in Upstate New York.  I was excited.  I was scared too.  I had never raised a puppy before. Bringing her home from the airport was a lot like bringing a new baby home from the hospital:  no directions included!  My other dogs were young adults when I got them.  This was brand new.  I took her to her first veterinary visit only to have the vet yell at me:  “Where did you GET this dog?!  She has two types of intestinal parasites and yeast infections in both ears.”  (I left that practice because your vet needs to be a respectful partner in your dog’s healthcare.)   I reached out to the breeder immediately and she said she would pick up the tab for the vet bill …. and cart the rest of the litter back to HER vet for a thorough check up!

The conversation began like this:  “I want to give you the benefit of the doubt that you did not know you were sending me a sick dog.”  And from there we were able to work it out pleasantly.  As Dale Carnegie says:  “Begin in a friendly way.”  Airlines require that you vet a dog within a few days prior to flying them to ensure their health and that they can withstand the stress of the trip.  That being the case, I decided that I myself would never “fly” a puppy to someone.  I also want the opportunity to meet the prospective new owner to get a sense if they and the puppy are ready for each other, if they are a good fit.  It is also for this reason that I will not use a “puppy broker” to find new owners for my dogs.  I myself want to meet and greet the people – I want the opportunity to answer questions, to educate, to support their journey with the dog.  I make myself available to connect with new puppy owners at their own preference (phone, email, facebook).  It is not something I mandate or force – I want them to know that there is someone who is committed to a successful placement and relationship with the dog.  I think that is what distinguishes AKC breeders from others.  We strive to be professional, instructive, and supportive.  Like the guy on the insurance commercial, most of us can say, “We know a thing or two because we’ve seen a thing or two.”

My AKC cocker spaniel Bethany Pearl has whelped two litters of fabulous puppies.  In fact, I kept a female from that first litter to breed when it was time.  Where I live, it has been incredibly challenging to find a stud to service to my dogs.  I am pleased to report that I did find some fantastic people to work with and the stud dogs they owned brought some great genes and beautiful color (chocolates, tri-colors, blacks) to the enterprise.  One of the things I value the most about the stud owners that agreed to work with me was their willingness to share their knowledge and time with me.  They have been so gracious in educating me and encouraging me.  I am appreciative of their friendship and kindness, and I take that spirit into my dealings with other dog owners.

At present, I have Bethany Pearl’s grandson “Valor Prince of Morning Glory Acres” who has a pedigree filled with champions, and his mother Madeline Grace Pearl.  She has given us two lovely litters and is now in “retirement.”  As I search for a “wife” for Valor, I have come up against the frustration of there being very few AKC cocker spaniels in my state and surrounding area.  I know that since I am committed to not flying a dog again, I will have to be open to the idea of driving within a certain radius of my home to get one. 

With the current COVID19 health crisis, people are buying dogs because they and their children are home-bound.  I am concerned for these “matches” because when people go back to work and kids go back to school, what happens to the lonely dog at home?  Are these people prepared to deal with the various ways that dogs “tell us” they are lonely and bored?  Are they ready to give the dogs the attention and activity they need to prevent acting-out behaviors?

Also during this crisis, I am disappointed to see a handful of breeders pricing the dogs so high (mostly Puppy Brokers) that they are beyond the reach of the average family.  It is important that we not take the “opportunity” of the pandemic to gouge the good people who may end up being the very same people that lose a job down the road.   That puts the dog at risk of being a “luxury” that a family may give up if their cash flow gets too tight.  It may be timely to have a conversation with prospective dog owners about assessing the stability of their employment before taking on a dog during this period of time.

 In the course of my current search for a female pup I had two separate calls related to a very important topic in the dog breeding world:   Puppy Mills.  My next article will deal with that.  Stay tuned ….
############

1 comment:

  1. Madeline gave me a wonderful female from her 2nd litter and she has the best personality even my Vet loves her and she said she is a rare cocker wonderful disposition! I thank you Chris for her everyday. Well most days�� just her barking sometimes is loud because she is very sassy��. Love her

    ReplyDelete