Saturday, November 16, 2019

Dogs are "sparrows" too


Dogs are “Sparrows” too

My great aunt used to regularly say to us:  “God works in wondrous ways, His marvels to perform.”  At my age at the time, I had no idea what that meant.  Years later, in a popular movie, I saw a young woman sit at the piano and sing in a low, soulful voice:  “I sing because I’m happy; I sing because I’m free; His eye is on the sparrow …. And I know He watches me.”  There are times when I am not 100% certain that His eye is on the “sparrows” of life.  I have my moments of doubt and discouragement just like everyone else. 

But I will say that as I have walked this life for over half a century by now, I am aware that when I think God is somehow asleep at the wheel, He is about to perform something else.  He doesn’t meet needs and address issues the way I would.  That’s because our job titles are distinctly different, a universe apart.  He sees the bigger picture.  When I lost a puppy in a litter last year, I wondered for more than a second why this little “sparrow” was not miraculously saved.  Today, when I told a new friend the story of Losing Connery, she asked me one question:  “Did the mother dog ignore him?”  I said to her, yes, every time I put the pup to momma to feed, she looked away.  The pup did not latch on and nurse.  I even tried hand feeding, to no avail.  I felt like I was shoveling sand …. Or something worse … against the tide.  My friend affirmed what I suspected:  “Momma dogs turn away when something is wrong with the puppy.”  Somehow that makes me feel better.  Not a lot better, but enough better.  I just need to know that it wasn’t my fault that he didn’t thrive.

A few months ago, I re-homed my friend’s cat for her.  I took a re-homing fee from the new owner as insurance that if the deal went south, I’d have at least some resources to help me care for the cat myself until Plan B unfolded.  No need.  Plan A worked great.  I took the re-homing fee and made a donation to a local shelter.  As I reflected on their business, I wondered if I could help them with their donor-based fundraising plan so I typed a few ideas out.  I planned to eventually drop by the shelter and offer my suggestions to them when I had time.  Two months passed.

Meanwhile, I had a few extra cans of cat food that were in my cabinet.  Today, on a whim, I decided to drive those to the shelter and see if I could talk to someone about fundraising.  I had forgotten about the other things I needed to re-purpose.  But the Supervisor of “sparrows” did not.

The young shelter manager was so gracious and invited me into her office to chat.  I gave her my piece of paper with my humble ideas (fundraising techniques I wish I knew when I was managing a non-profit 30 years ago).  When we were just about wrapping-up our time together, her phone rang.  A litter of orphaned puppies were on their way in for care.  The lightbulb in my brain snapped on.  I thought I had been there for one reason.  In fact, I was led there for a DIFFERENT REASON, unbeknown to me.  I asked her:  Do you have handfeeding formula for puppies, or do you need some?  She checked her cupboard, and she had only kitten formula.  I told her I would be back.  Within the hour I was able to deliver the puppy formula and Hi calorie protein gel for pups (I call it miracle gel, because it perks them up if they are logy.  After the last litter of puppies at my house, it became apparent that our next litter would be no sooner than three years away.  That fact had left me with a full can and a 1/3 of puppy formula which would expire before I needed to use it.  I was waiting to see where it could be put to good use.  Now I know.

The “perk” for me was as simple as being able to hold one of the puppies of this litter of orphans.  She trembled, a three-week-old beautiful girl puppy with no Momma dog to feed her.  I kissed the top of her tawny-colored head.  She will not go hungry, nor will her siblings.  The kind people at the shelter will do their best and it will all work out. 

And I thought I was just bringing cans of cat food and fundraising ideas.  Today’s Lesson in Trust:  I guess I will leave the management of sparrows and puppies to bigger Hands.  I’m just so glad I got to be there.



                                                                                              ################                 

No comments:

Post a Comment