Saturday, April 27, 2019

The Bee Gees and Me






The Bee Gees and Me

Seriously, all I think about the first 48 hours of caring for puppies is the song from the Bee Gee’s, “Stayin’ Alive, Staying Alive…”  Everything I’ve read and lived in the world of dog breeding emphasizes how the first week is absolutely critical to the foundation of healthy dogs.

Our first pup in this litter, Sebastian Cabot, I named him due to his black overcoat and white ruffle down the front, had an important role in helping his brothers and sisters being born.  Namely, nursing from his Momma.  Scientifically, that action on his part stimulates contractions for her to continue birthing the rest.  If it wasn’t that way, she’d just hunker down with him and nap.  And that ain’t the time for napping, let me tell you.

In my last entry which actually was written on Friday April 26, the day after the whelping, when I had two brain cells left, I explained how Artemus Gordon came at 2:05 pm.  The next boy, Sean Connery came around 3:30 pm.  Remember his outfit in the movie about King Arthur, the shiny silver boots?  My Connery has actually tannish-markings on his front paws.  I found out the next day when the black dogs all had dried off from birth (yes I did towel dry them Day One, but for them to fully dry took Madeline’s attention), that three of the boys have nice tan markings that I couldn’t see when the black color was wet and shiny at birth.  They are going to be handsome dogs.

My 4:30 boy came in with a cute pink nose.  His name is Bandit.  I fully expect him to steal someone’s heart pretty quickly.  Our final pup entered the scene around 5:30 pm, Mariette Joy.  It was the only time I ever really noticed Madeline Grace gobble an entire placenta.  It was a sight that made me feel like I got punched in the stomach, but I got over it.  Earlier in the day I actually grabbed a placenta off the lawn to get it out of her view.  While dogs, for health reasons, tend to eat them, also for health reasons, they should not eat ALL of them.  To quote St. Thomas Aquinas, “All good things in moderation.”  If the dogs eat too many of them, I will just say that like an encyclopedia salesman who thinks you are an easy sell, you WILL be seeing them again. 

So inside the world of puppy raising the next phase involves food, temperature, cleanliness and complete freedom from any other important responsibilities on my part.  As I said to a co-worker once, “When you’re raising puppies, that’s ALL your doing is raising puppies.”  I believe that this week I have already lost three pounds from running up and down the stairs and back and forth across the lawn.  I sleep in the finished basement with the dogs – it is quiet and den-like, but the futon is not a study in comfortable sleeping…. Especially the pipe that tends to run afoul with my spine. 

Madeline’s food intake has tripled, which means I have to feed her more frequently.  She needs protein, and her body needs to be able to regulate its use of calcium in producing milk for them.  I have to keep an eye on her that all of her systems are working properly.  Then, the temperature of the pups for the first week or two needs to be like, oh, BERMUDA.  Because the little space heaters are not a safe, full time solution, I only use them when I am home to babysit the process; otherwise, I turn the house heat up. Don’t ask how high.  Just think:  short sleeve shirts and flip flops.  In a couple of weeks, when their little bodies’ engines can regulate their own temperature efficiently, I won’t have to worry so much about a few more degrees.  Its ironic how my two big “basement interests” compete for temperature:  the puppies need to be toasty but in the next section of the basement, the wine needs to be stable and cool.  I worry less about the wine than I do my little guys though.

In case you were wondering:  Puppies’ cries are not generic.  When Madeline hops out of the kennel to get a drink – more often than not, I kneel in to bring her a drink – if they are not in a deep sleep they are CRANKY for her leaving them.  Even though they are yet without sight, they know her feel and her warmth and that their lives depend on her presence.  Just recently, little Connery was making his ornery wailing as his body produced one of its first Big Jobs.  He needed a bit of cleaning in the process so I took a paper towel and gently assisted him.  On the other end of business, If they are hungry, they have a particular noise they make to her.  And if they are chilly they whimper…. Trust me when I say, I do my best to prevent that from happening even momentarily.  My friend gave me an incredible disc that you heat in a microwave and it holds and evenly disperses warmth for hours on end.  This will be my god-send when I go back to work.  All of these details of care I have accumulated by reading, by consulting with other breeders, and by journaling my process with each litter so it is less of a shock to my system the next time I need to use it. It’s not exactly like riding a bike – you do need to refresh your memory on the particulars in order to be prepared.

I will honestly say:  This enterprise is not easy and it is not for the faint-hearted.  Things can go awry and get both financially and emotionally costly.  When I talk to potential buyers and they trigger something in me that makes me suspect they are going to re-sell my baby to make a profit (“Puppy Brokers”) or they are nit-wits that won’t take proper care to give the dog a happy, healthy life, it really jacks my blood pressure up. 

I had a woman call me about one of my boys in a previous litter.  I advised her that because his tail was tipped with white like a paintbrush I elected not to doc it.  It was so beautiful.  Consequently, he would have a full-length dog tail instead of an official cocker spaniel sporting look.  He was six weeks old at the time.  She said, and I quote, “I don’t want a dog WITH A TAIL.  Can you get rid of it?”   It would have been excruciatingly painful for him.  Her lack of insight was a level of ignorance that was inexcusably stupid.  Wanna know what I got rid of?  Her business as a potential buyer.  I said, “No.  I can’t doc the tail at this stage.  It would hurt him immensely.”  She said, “well, then I guess I will take Monte Carlo.”  (one of my other pups)  I replied:  “No actually he is not available.  So I guess I can’t help you.  Have a nice day.”  I turfed her.

Another guy called me from a nearby city.  He said, “yeah, I’ve got five kids so I guess I should probably get a dog.”  HUH?!  Since when is having a full house of kids the reason by which you choose to add a dog to your chaos?  I asked if he had looked at other dogs.  He listed off a variety of breeds that were so diverse it made no sense:  terriers (toy breed), spaniels (hunting breed), labs (sporting breed), you get the idea.  I said to him:  “What’s the age range of your kids?”  He had a hard time conjuring up believable figures for me.  I replied:  “I’m thinking that what you need is a golden retriever.  They are much better dogs with big families and active kids.  He got defensive and said he had to call me back.  I called him back a few minutes later and when he finally answered, he snapped and said:  “I told you I’d call YOU tomorrow!”  No need.  Jerk.  At that point you can safely surmise he was on the other line with the person he was trying to sell one of MY pups to as a broker.  He knew he was not securing the sale from either direction and thus the frustration.   

I remember the day Tiffany called me from Puppy Paradise.  That’s what it said on caller ID.  I asked her what that was.  She said, “We HELP YOU to find good homes for your puppies by matching the perfect buyer to your puppy.”  Guess what?  No need.  I told her straight-out:  “I don’t fly or ship puppies.  I want to meet the potential buyers face-to-face.  I want them to see that I am NOT a puppy mill, but a hobby breeder.”  I want to decide if the particular interested person is the right fit for my puppy that I put so much work and love into.  I will settle for no less.  Every ad I place going forward says:  “No Puppy Brokers, please.” 

Are these episodes with people reason to not get into dog breeding?  Not really, because any business has its quirky people and scheisters.   And every breeder I know will tell you that you don’t do it for the money because if you actually factored in the cost of the TIME you spend in addition to supplies and vetting etc., you don’t break even.  We don’t price our dogs to make a big profit margin.  We price them so that the average family that deserves a healthy, quality dog can afford one.  We have our buyers in mind as much as the best interest of our dogs when we decide who to accept as a potential customer.  I will say that given the amount of energy I put into it, and my particular sense of “partnering with God” in the process of birth and nurturing, I also believe that each of my dogs has a ministry. 

The ministry of each dog is different.  Each disposition has been created by God to help someone and bring joy to them in a way to which they can relate.  Remember the dog with the tail?  Guess who he lives with now?  (Me.)  And even though I have, by all sane estimations, “enough” dogs just by owning his mother and grandmother dogs, he completes the package.  He is full of joy and fun in a way that they are not.  Each dog brings something new to the table. 

And so as I hover over the little brood of five puppies, I wonder whose life they will fulfill.  I wonder what their gift is and how they will make the world a better place.  Sometimes I think dogs have a better shot of accomplishing that then we people.  But I’m biased:  I am in love.

###########################




No comments:

Post a Comment