Wednesday, March 27, 2019

What's My Line?





It was the first time I ever saw THAT on a bumper sticker.  It was only a parking permit. It said:  “Parking Permit.  Cape Cod.  NUDE BEACH.”  Hilarious that someone would advertise that they are the person who goes there.  Then you look at the person driving the car and you think, “too much information,” followed by, “If you are representative of who goes to that beach, ewww.”  Not exactly a Sistine chapel model.

It reminded me of a friend from the southwest desert that invited me over for dinner adding the caveat, “Make sure you pull into OUR driveway; the next one is the Nudist Colony.”  WHAT?!?  She told me that every evening the inhabitants of the colony take a stroll up the driveway and back to the house. (It sounds boring if your route is the same every day, no?)  It kind of reminded me of the part in Genesis where Adam and Eve walked with God Himself in the cool of the day.  I think they were wearing the same attire: nothing but a smile.  My friend said to me, “Yeah, we had the parish priest over for dinner one night and all of a sudden They come strolling up their driveway.  I had to think quick and say:  Father, have you seen our living room furniture before?” and ushered him away from the kitchen window.  Probably an unnecessary maneuver but it was worth a chuckle.

But back to the other topic:  I love bumper stickers.  They are the place where Freedom of Speech, Freedom of Press and Absolute Rudeness compete for space.  I enjoy the funny ones.  I am sick of the political ones.  I appreciate the faith-based ones. 

My father is a recent convert to Bumper Sticker World.  He used to be so “against” them for the same reason he hated similar tee shirts.  His exact quote was, “I’m not advertising for ANYONE unless they pay me!”  Then, he found “his” bumper sticker slogan and drank the Kool Aid, or vice versa.  It read:  “I’ll keep my money, my guns, and my rights; YOU keep the change!”  I was surprised to see him jump on board and plaster that on the back of his SUV.

I’m a softie.  I like to advertise my favorite beaches, my faith, my sense of humor, and my dogs.  Oh, and Work likes me to have the parking permit on there too.  My first car had so many religious stickers, I called it the “God Mobile.”  The beach sticker I won’t put on my car is “OBX” because even with my two university degrees, the first time I saw that I thought it meant “Obnoxious,” not “Outer Banks.”  So if I who am relatively bright was that easily confused, I don’t want other people to think I’m advertising myself as obnoxious.

I am kind of surprised that the Thought Police in the state where I live and pay taxes hasn’t outlawed bumper stickers.  The sticker may make someone think differently, no?  Or perhaps it could be a catalyst to road rage?   Or it may make you laugh so hard it impairs your driving!  Well, maybe the Parking Permit just tells the bare truth.  If so, I think it’s kind of a bum-mer.  I think it was funny, but maybe I read it too quickly when it streaked-by.

###########


No comments:

Post a Comment