Wednesday, October 17, 2018

Rediscovering the Beautiful American


Rediscovering the Beautiful American

Picture if you will a beautiful cabin in the Carpathian mountains of Poland.  It is surrounded by rolling hills and tiny yellow flowers blowing in the gentle breeze.  Sheep graze nearby like fluffy tufts of cotton on the green quilt-like landscape.  A happy dog lopes through the fields.  Perhaps he is the inspiration for the Polish song about why he is so happy: because he is not married. 

Inside the cabin is a late-in-life man who thought to himself he would have the best of both worlds:  he married a woman his own age, as well as a much younger woman.  Every evening his late-in-life wife would pat the top of his head before she began the ritual of plucking out all the darker hairs she could find.  She didn’t think it proper for him to be anything other than salt-and-pepper tresses like herself.  In desperate contrast, the younger wife would meet him in the sitting room in the morning and remove all of the grey hairs she could find.  She didn’t think it proper for him to be anything other than youthful as herself.  The end result is:  in short order, the man became completely bald and neither wife was pleased.  He was left to live out the opposite of the adage:  “Happy wife, happy life.”

This Polish folktale bears with it the message of the importance of compromise.  We can be surrounded by every blessing and every beauty and yet if our inner world is nit-picky and turmoil-ridden there can never be peace.  Can I read this story to the Senators and Congressmen of our country?



Someone at one point crafted the idea of the “Ugly American.”  I don’t know where it came from or who thought that idea was worth culturing, but it has been bad for our national self-esteem.  It is as if we keep looking at ourselves in the political mirror and saying:  we are ugly; we are ill-behaved, we are bad.  Anyone who lived through the 1970’s was exposed to all the self-help and proselytization of the “feel good” culture.  We would never, as individuals, allow our kids to look into the mirror at home and say, “I’m ugly.  I’m fat.  I’m selfish.”  We would cart them right off to a psychiatrist or counselor to straighten what was called “stinkin’ thinkin’.”  And yet as a nation we have allowed people who perhaps are THEMSELVES the ugly stereotype of selfish, boorish, and badgering to tell us that we are no good. 

I never hear of the Canadians bashing their own national identity.  I never hear of the Mexicans bashing their own national identity.  And the Brits of the U.K. have managed, despite their intrigue and marital catastrophes to shine up their own veneer as if they all are 100% classy.  They have projected an image of The Royals that they intend to culture.

In the States, we lived through 8 years of a President who did pseudo self-effacing of America as a nation and it hurt us.  We have tolerated two terms of a Governor in New York State who actually stammered out, “America was never that great.” 

Really?  I think that even though my experience is limited, my vision is not:  I SEE GREATNESS.  I have friends that have left the comfort and safety of their homes to travel with church groups to Third World countries and build houses and feed the poor.  I and countless others write checks to support the work of missionaries and organizations at home and overseas who try to raise the spiritual AND physical living standards of people who suffer greatly.  Our economic success, for the greater part of this Nation, isn’t just about personal prosperity:  it is about corporate prosperity – we get more, we give more.  We do spend more.  That is the fact.  But as the Good Book says:  “It is wrong to muzzle the ox that trods the grain to feed you.”

When I go to a baseball game and they play the national anthem, I have to choke back tears.  They are the same sort of tears I shed when I see veterans coming back from war-torn lands when they have tried to stabilize and bring peace to an area.  It is a good thing that I do not have teenagers or I would be a perpetual source of “embarrassment” to them as I also cry at parades. 
I see through the joy of the marching bands and Irish dancers to know that Freedom is not free. 
Someone had to pay for it, and others have to remain vigilant, lest we have it stolen from us.  Leisure comes to us as the fruit of a militant and productive society.  Countries led by tyrants of every stripe do not have leisure or self-determination on their minds for their peoples.  I am grateful for every day that I can pursue my dreams, and the hobbies that bring me joy.  Sometimes I even cross the border to a neighboring land to see how the others live.  But every time when I return, I have to fight the urge to kiss the ground as I return to a land where I have freedom and responsibility and identity.

Whomever the Ugly American was that was a stereotype of boorish self-centeredness, I do not know.  And frankly I don’t know anyone like this (and admittedly I know A LOT of people).  There are people I do not like as persons for whatever reason.  But very few of them are the completely obnoxious Ugly American stereotype that someone dreamed up to beat us over the head with.  Perhaps it is time to look at ourselves in the National Mirror and say:  we are imperfect, but we strive to be a good, generous nation.  We argue amongst ourselves, so that our decisions can be made in a way that advances us along a good path.  We are diverse and perhaps not always fair; but we do have the ability to come together and serve others side-by-side when the chips are down.  We have the ability to check our negative opinions at the door and collaborate for the greater good.   We long to be unified and resilient.  We long to radiate the purity reflected on the face of our Statue of Liberty in the New York City Harbor.

Maybe the fact that we want all these things says we are already, in some way, beautiful and great.



######



No comments:

Post a Comment