Friday, June 9, 2017

Cultural Disintegration - Part 3.

Part 3. of Cultural Disintegration

The Language of Communication

“I meant what I said, and I said what I meant.  An elephant’s faithful 100 percent!”  This line from a famous children’s book reminded children (and the adults who read to them) of the importance of verbal integrity.  You say what you mean.  You mean what you say.  Anything more or less gets you in trouble.  Recently at work someone I don’t know well walked by my desk and asked me what kind of ice cream I like.  I told her.  She said she was going out and would bring me some.  She came back two hours later and said she had been sitting outside and it melted.   


I am a middle aged, adult woman.  Her little white lie shouldn’t have bothered me.  But it did.  At first I felt a child-like sense of disappointment.  Then I remembered that when she initially asked me it felt awkward that someone who owes me nothing was offering to do something outside the lines of the page I am coloring.  Then I did a little research and found out that this offer was part of a fabrication.  Her behavior was confusing to me.  But now I know I’m going to be a lot more cautious about anything that she says because her debut of words was initially dishonest.  Think about it, if someone is insincere or dishonest about a small thing, can you expect them to be honest and true about more important things?

I hear a lot of language during the day.  I hear communication of information that is needed (at work).  I hear junk that is totally unnecessary (on the radio, see above rant on the Media).  I hear people being kind and sensitive and I also hear people being frustrated.  I am often surprised that the word that was previously restricted to use by spray paint artists on bridges and uneducated bumpkins with no class at all is now used by practically everyone.  I have to admit that I’ve even “thought it” when the guy ran a stop sign and almost hit my vehicle –with me in it – last summer.  But we all need to ask ourselves if this makes it better when we vent it out in such a hostile manner.  That word has never been known to make a friend or diffuse a situation.  And I won’t even get into how incredibly sexist it is by implication…. We just need to stop.  I’ve even substituted my old Emergency Management Word with the word “sharks.”  After all, I have people who need better behavior from me – they need to see Grace Under Pressure, not Impatience at the Wheel.


Private phone calls in public places are a new thing out of control.  I was recently sitting three tables away from someone on their cell phone who went into all kinds of admittedly boring details about her love life as if it mattered.  She was explaining to someone who might have cared more if they heard less.  But I, in fact, needed to hear NONE of it.  Yak-yak-yak, YAWN.  But not only that, it was ear pollution.  If I wanted this kind of drama I’d turn on a television set and watch one of the Judge programs, at least Someone eventually tells them to be quiet.  People need to have some self-respect and keep their private world private.  I can assure you that when I am standing in the line at the grocery store, I do not want to hear you review your grocery list with your person on the phone; nor do I want to hear anything else.  As a culture, we have become so self-centered we don’t hold back on exposing complete strangers to our data.  Just STOP.

It’s like what?  When I taught high school, I used to say to the kids, “Don’t tell me what it’s LIKE.  Tell me what it IS.”  That is in response to the incredible over use of the word “like.”  If you listen to the like-abuse in context, it is almost always self-reflexive.  “It’s like I was saying that  ….” And, “You know, like, it was so mean of him to think he’s, like, all that and, well, whatever.”  Mostly these sentences are content-free…. which is exactly what is happening to language all around us.  

Language ceases to be communication when there is no content to it.  The art of communication used to involve encoding (I put a message together and convey it to another person) and decoding (the other person tries to make sense out of the data).  When there is NO content, the process breaks down.  What is left without communication?  Um, it’s like, dude, I don’t know.

So, truth, self-control, and clarity are things we need to guide back into our language system.  It will be part of creating a more nurturing, respectable climate.  It will set the tone for a peaceful civilization.  It’s about time, don’t you think?



############

No comments:

Post a Comment