Thursday, September 22, 2016

From a Martian's Perspective



From a Martian’s Perspective
Image result for picture alienQuestion:  Why did the snake cross the road?  Answer:  I don’t know if he actually made it across the road but I sure as hell am not going over there to ask him!  It seems when I noticed him, and other cars zoomed right by him, he was having a “traction issue” with the surface of the road that was probably, oh, about 95+ degrees HOT at the time.  I kind of felt sorry for him.  Psych.  Not really.

There are times when I think to myself:  if I was a Martian visiting from another planet, what would puzzle me the most about this land?  First and foremost, it would be the strange obsession with one joke in America:  “Why did the chicken cross the road?”  It is classic because:  a) chickens do, indeed cross the road; b) nobody knows why due to the communication impasse we have with poultry; and c) the listener really anticipates that you are going to finally tell them a really, really funny answer to the question – and yet no one ever does.  Why this joke has lived so long is really a testimony to residual HOPE in the  human heart:  we HOPE someone, eventually, tells us a great reason…. But so far the ball is still in their court (the chickens).

Animals should not cross the road unsupervised.  But I can say this for sure and for certain:  woodchucks shouldn’t be allowed to DRIVE unsupervised!  And I am not referencing animal woodchucks.  I am openly satirizing the brand of human being that drives a pick-up truck, has only a few teeth that are not even necessarily situated next to each other, and live mostly on the outskirts of true civilization … and with good reason.  Here are my two best wood chuck stories:

I was driving to my dentist appointment last week – at the designated speed limit, which, as intended, gave me ample time to stop for the fiasco.  On this long country road which runs next to the Erie Canal (yes, that Erie Canal with a mule named Sal) there had been construction the prior week which led me to have a wary eye as I was driving.  You know, in New York, they actually have a sign that just says:  “Bump.”  And usually it should have actually said:  “CRATER.”  So I was watching for the bump or a sign or something and then I saw a Tree Service truck on the side of the road.  Heckle and Jeckle were parked next to a telephone pole that is in two pieces, still standing vertically, but snapped with jagged edges.  It is hard to imagine what mishap caused this situation but I am guessing it would have won the Top Prize on “Funniest Home Videos.” 

In a farm-sized driveway on the opposite side of the road sits an empty school bus.  A man resembling Ichabod Crane getting up from his long nap was walking around the front lawn.  I am hoping the two stories are not connected in any way.  Then as I came to a gentle stop, I looked up to see the wire from the telephone pole hanging mighty low – think “brush the top of my windshield” low and you get the idea.  One of the guys, with his bare hand, lifted the wire up so that the west-bound car could drive under.  Then he dropped it.  So I remained sitting there in the eastbound lane, waiting.  And all of a sudden from behind me, two Woodchuck Cowboys blaze around me in their big arse vehicles and JAM their gas pedals to go somehow through or under that wire.  I cannot repeat the phrase I said when I saw this.  It was sheer horror at their lack of patience!  The first guy made it under.  The second guy blazed through and I watched the wire fling something else up over the top of the truck.  I do not know if it was one of those triangular ice melters we have on our telephone wires here or what it was.  It just flicked up and over the truck and he blazed on.  

These types of incidents give me chest pains.  I really cannot grasp what was so important that they would be so foolish – maybe they were headed to a happy hour or a cow auction somewhere?  It was just crazy.  Eventually one of the tree service guys grabbed a metal post (??? to lift a wire that has some sort of energy in it???) and lifted the wire up for me.  Otherwise I’d still be sitting there.  I am kind of wondering if they are still standing there.  You can’t make this stuff up.

The other story is a tale of Woodchuck Camping.  (No details have been omitted for the purpose of political correctness or accuracy in journalistic reporting.  Again, you can’t make this stuff up.)     I had taken one of my dogs camping on Lake Ontario for a weekend.  In the morning, the guy two campsites over from mine walked over to the Hispanic young adults at the in-between-us campsite and proceeded to make his awkward introduction.  He had on jeans, a sleeveless tee shirt, and was nursing a can of cold and hopsy already at 9am.  The young adults were sitting in a friendly circle just chatting when he walked over and asked where they were from and then made some reference that presumed they did not work for a living.  It was like throwing a rock through a plate glass window to say hello.  BUT, they were incredibly gracious and informed him they worked in Hartford and had the week off from work.  “That’s cool.  Mind if I sit down?” 

Again, the picture of hospitality, they welcomed him into their circle.  He was a world apart from them.  And, truth be told, from most people I know…. He was just really, really rough around the edges.  I mean, when you run out of Nascar stories, what else IS there to talk about?

Later in the day I was entertaining some friends for the afternoon and dinner on the campfire.  They got up to leave and go back to civilization.  I asked one of my guy friends, “Pizza Dave,” if he’d walk me to the restroom before he left.  We had a bit of a moment earlier in the afternoon when he patronizingly  tried to correct me that it was “not nice” for me to call that guy a woodchuck.  Whatever.  Dave didn’t have to listen to the bragging and the nonsense all morning long. 

We walked in the dark along the unpaved camp road, each site marked by a fire pit near the edge of the street.  On the way past that third site there came a horrible snorting noise that made Pizza Dave jump a few inches off the ground, still nervous in the Great Outdoors.  He turned to me and practically shouted:  “What was THAT?  A BEAR?!”  I didn’t flinch for a second:  “No.  A Woodchuck.”

The guy had moved his lawnchair next to his fire pit and fell asleep there.  I kind of doubt anyone told him that mosquitoes do not consider snoring a repellant.  I bet he was one big welt when he got up in the morning… unless, of course, woodchucks don’t use deodorant. 
Image result for photo of woodchuck

###############

No comments:

Post a Comment